Cross country alumni run

Cross country alumni run

Memorial runners race to determine the first varsity lineup. They are accompanied by past runners.

Brook Burris

Brook Burris

Brook Burris

Megan Cherry, Memorial Online Editor-in-chief

Coinciding with a temperature drop, the 44th annual Edmond Memorial Cross Country Alumni Run kicked off the morning of Sat. 24. The run allowed alumni runners to train with the high school team again.

Coach David Sammons began the competition with a short prayer and alumni introductions.

“Sammons pushes us each day to run harder, smarter and faster, we practice everyday at school regardless of the weather,” Senior runner Blake Rice said.

Students and alumni took off at the corner of Central Middle School and began the fight to the finish. The race finished with alumni Steuart Lisle taking first and fellow alum Mark Thompson in second. Thompson had placed first in 18 consecutive races before being beat by Lisle.

Lisle has continued to run and so has his wife Kat, she has won the Oklahoma Memorial Marathon women’s category three years in a row.

The first student, senior Noah Plum, crossed the finish line in fourth place overall followed closely by fellow seniors Blake Rice and Jackson Watts.

“The alumni run is our first test to see if the training we did over the summer paid off and it’s good to see what our team can do as a whole,” Rice said.

Bringing up the rear, 1984 alumni Carl Reherman had been waiting and training for the race all summer and worked hard until the very end.

“Carl is a special needs alumni that ran all four years and never quit.” coach Sammons said, “He still jogs at the alumni runs and finishes to a big ovation from fans and runners.”

After every runner crossed the finish line, points were tallied and scores were close. Scoring in cross country is similar to golf; the fewer points, the better. A runner’s points are determined by their placement within the race. For example, first place is awarded one point and fourth is awarded four points.

The total points capped at 30-31 with alumni winning again, but it was all in good fun. After the race, runners gathered together for photos.

The first cross country meet is Sat. Aug 30, but students can attend the state on Sat. Nov. 1 at Santa Fe high school.

Contact Megan Cherry at [email protected]