Porky parking

The+Swine+Week+parking+spaces+are+reserved+near+the+Freshman+Academy+and+football+field.+Each+owner+is+assigned+a+specific+spot+based+on+which+one+they+bought+for+the+year+to+avoid+anybody+else+parking+in+their+spot.+

Porky parking

The Swine Week parking spaces are reserved near the Freshman Academy and football field. Each owner is assigned a specific spot based on which one they bought for the year to avoid anybody else parking in their spot.

Leah Franklin

Leah Franklin

Leah Franklin

Emma McCabe, Memorial Co-Editor-in-Chief

Aug. 23 marked the end to the first complete week of the 2019-20 school year, which for some, meant it was time to get ahead on homework and for most others, it meant collapsing in bed full of gratitude that the weekend had finally arrived. But for one lucky soul, it meant that they would soon find out that they were the winner of a reserved Swine Week parking space. 

This one such person was sophomore Michael Hurley, who actually had to wait far longer than just the week to receive this glorious prize.

“I turned 16 in May of last school year which means I’ve been waiting to drive to school for a long time,” Hurley said. “My parents tried to bid to purchase a spot last year but it didn’t work out so when they saw another spot was available this year they wanted to try again.”

Swine Week, Edmond Memorial’s philanthropy week, has been selling the parking spots as fundraisers for several years now. The going price range has been roughly $2,000 for the other spots, which were auctioned off at the end of last year either at the Swine Week auction or at the live auction during the final assembly. This one would have been too, however, it was overlooked and Student Council (StuCo) was unaware of its availability until a parking attendant brought it to their attention.

“We originally thought that it would be fun to sell raffle tickets and draw a winner for the last parking spot during the Bulldog Bash,” StuCo advisor Jeff Lovett said. “However, our football program was selling raffle tickets to win a brand new 2020 Chevy Camaro, and we didn’t want to compete with that awesome raffle. So, we decided to hold a silent auction of sorts for the final spot.”

The bids ranged from $500 to $1,501 with Hurley’s bid being the lowest priced Swine Week parking spot out of the six sold for this school year. These six spots are sold every year and are applicable for one school year to the owner of the spot. The spots have been consistent money-raisers for Memorial’s charity week considering what a hot commodity parking is on a school campus, especially one frequently taken over by construction.

“Driving these past couple days with the spot has been really good, I am glad that I received it because the traffic can be really bad and now I do not have to worry about where I am going to park everyday which saves me time in the morning,” Hurley said. “I think my parents and I are also really happy we had the opportunity to donate and benefit others.”

Beginning to raise money this early in the school year has also proved to be an excellent way to make people aware of the generous spirit that Swine Week embodies at Memorial. 

“I am incredibly nervous for this year’s Swine Week but this boost of funds has put me in a state of awe that Swine Week is coming which is extremely exciting,” StuCo chair senior Brooke Guarry said. “I love beginning the process of creating a partnership with our benefitee as well as having the Swine Week spirit being born once again.”