TikTok is changing school culture

Senior%2C+Emily+Rivera+dressed+up+as+a+%22VSCO+girl%22+for+a+Homecoming+dress+up+day.+

TikTok is changing school culture

Senior, Emily Rivera dressed up as a

Senior, Emily Rivera dressed up as a "VSCO girl" for a Homecoming dress up day.

Stephanie Ledford

Stephanie Ledford

Stephanie Ledford

Chloe Clinton & Sofia Speno, Santa Fe Staff Writers

Grab your scrunchies and refill your hydroflasks because VSCO [an app] girls are taking over Santa Fe. Students are obsessed with TikTok, a video editing app used to create minute long videos of singing, dancing, lip-syncing or just being funny. 

TikTok  was originally called Musical.ly, a strictly lip-syncing app. Now the recently released TikTok has a more diverse range of abilities that the creator can use to make their own content and a profit.

“Musica.ly was mainly videos of people lip-syncing but TikTok focuses more on the comical aspects of videos,” said junior TikToker Quin Walton. “It is definitely easier to make the videos on Tik Tok than Musical.ly but if you are really trying to make a high quality video it can take some time.”

TikTok has redefined social media’s influence on highschool culture. This app has vastly changed the styles of Santa Fe’s very own students. This app allows trends from other social media platforms to span a larger audience.

A simple walk through the hallways during passing time and one can spot puka shell necklaces, oversized tee-shirts and even hear an “and I- oop”—a common catchphrase associated with VSCO girls. “VSCO girl” is a slang term used to describe teenage girls who wear scrunchies and tee-shirts and use the photo editing app VSCO. 

Students download the app because it is an inexpensive and easy to use app that cultivates a creative outlet for making and enjoying content. Students also use TikTok as a way to pass time, watch relatable and catchy videos and share the content with friends.

“I make TikToks of me dancing and joking around to make people laugh and I love reading the comments,” said  junior TikToker Michael Kelch.

TikTok has also spawned the E-Boy and E-Girl trend, inspired by emo themes of the 2000s clothing, as well as their opposites, the soft boys and girls who wear pastel colors and toned down outfits. Each of these trends allow individuals to adopt a persona. These trends depict different clothing trends, such as E-girls wearing all black and chains to the soft girls wearing pastels and berets. Not only are their clothes different, but their mannerisms are too, from the eye rolling E-boys to the nose-scrunching soft boys.

Students have admitted their own clothing has even changed since the app became popular. Comfier clothes, like tee shirts, shorts, Crocs and chokers are more common. Don’t forget the metal straw or an all-black ensemble with chains.

“I like the fact that it is now cool to wear comfy clothes to school, so I am more comfortable wearing whatever I want to school, whether that is comfy clothes or a trendy outfit,” junior Kiele Cho said. 

Not only has TikTok had its impression on people around the world, it can especially be seen here in the halls of Santa Fe. So the next passing period take a look at your peers and see what trendy persona you see the most, from VSCO girls to E-boys

For more information, contact Chloe Clinton or Sofia Speno.