Preparing for the future with electives

High school electives should be more skill based for students entering the adult world.

Fallyn Smith, Memorial Staff Writer

High school electives are important because they offer students the chance to learn about new things, but do they prepare students for adult life?

Memorial offers a wide range of electives from woodtech, agriculture to drama and photography. 

Most schools require students to take a wide range of electives instead of all core classes and schools offer electives that help prepare students for a career but not for the future as an adult. If schools provided classes on how to be a successful adult, students would be more prepared for the future.

Electives classes students have the opportunity to choose based on their interests. The classes are supposed to enrich learning experiences and give students credit to graduate. They are a fun way for students to learn about new topics and enjoy school more. 

Colleges aren’t looking for just good grades. They also look for well-rounded students with electives on their transcripts. Students who demonstrate who they are as people show that they are capable of learning so much. Colleges should be more interested in knowing how many students have knowledge over handling money and knowing they can handle the stress of being an adult rather than classes required. 

Schools have many interesting electives that keep students engaged throughout the semester, but after the class is over, students only gain a new skill for a career, not for adulting. Schools should consider adding classes that prepare students for life, not just college. Taxes, buying houses and managing money are skills everyone needs to have before being on their own. Learning these important skills in high school will make students more confident in the adult world. 

High school elective courses prepare students for college, but they should also prepare students for the reality after school. 

contact: Fallyn Smith [email protected]