Freshman academy: is it working?

Freshman academy: is it working?

How beneficial the Freshman Academy is depending on the student.

Leah Franklin

Leah Franklin

Leah Franklin

BriAnna Harbaugh, Memorial Staff Writer

At Memorial, when one starts as a freshman, most of their classes are in the Freshman Academy to become used to high school status. The academy isn’t even 10 years old, it was originally in the main building. With the classes becoming bigger the school needed a new place to put and help everyone. 

Senior Elsie Stillman-Albertson thinks that the building is a great way for freshmen to become used to high school.

“It’s a smart decision to separate freshmen from upperclassmen, partly to prevent hazing,” Albertson said. “Studies of freshman academy in the past have also shown that it does improve a lot with focus and being introduced to the way high school works.” 

Being comfortable around students and the school would greatly improve with grades and focusing, since they don’t have to feel like it’s a competition. If they are used to the same people they went to middle school with they might become used to the high school environment and how it works with classes and timing.

Freshman Jaxon Stafford struggles with arriving to class on time and having elective classes that are in the art hallway that is across the school. 

“I do find it difficult at times for students to get to class on time if they’re on the other side of the school and we have five minutes to get to the academy,” Stafford said.

That would be an issue if someone had a class across the school. With how crowded the hallways are to be able to be in class with just five minutes can be difficult, so students have to deal with attendance. 

Freshman Jack Howard gave his insight on the freshmen academy with walking to class and the people.

“I don’t like how I have to walk across to my tech class and back to my biology class but does have its perks,” Howard said. “You don’t have to deal with as many people as in the main building.”

Many of the freshmen probably have to go across the school for their classes, it’s all just a matter of how one manages their time.

Freshmen principal Keith Pautler gave insight on how students would work better and more efficient since they are just out of high school.

“The freshman academy is much more than a building, it’s more of a philosophy of separating freshmen so that they have the opportunity to build a good foundation,” Pautler said. 

One shouldn’t be pressured when introduced to high school, they should take things easy and have a  good start to prepare for the future.

High school is where people find themselves, so what’s better than a building for lower classmen to do that and find a path for their future. 

Contact BriAnna Harbaugh at [email protected]