Katelyn Levings: Giving it her best shot

Levings guarding the basket at a game against Moore High School on Jan. 31.

Lauren Crouch, Memorial Staff Writer

Arizona State basketball commit, senior Katelyn Levings hit a monumental milestone of scoring 1000 points in her high school basketball career. Only one other Memorial female basketball player in the past few years has accomplished this goal, which was Taylor Norman, a 2019 graduate. 

“My team helped me accomplish scoring 1000 points by believing in me and looking for me to score,” Levings said. “I would not be able to score the amount of points I have if it were not for my teammates passing me the ball.”

She started playing basketball when she was just four years old and fell in love with the sport. Out of all of her years of memories, her favorite was being able to play basketball with her older sister for two years at Memorial. 

“The first impression I had of Katelyn was her sincere love and care for her family and teammates and enjoyment of playing basketball,” basketball coach Curt Knox said.

Levings wants to thank her coaches for helping her stand out as a player in her position as a forward, incentivizing colleges to gain interest in her. She appreciates all that her teammates have helped her accomplish throughout the years. 

When she scored the basket that led to breaking the 1000 point barrier, she thought of it as just another point until the team went into the locker room after the game and celebrated. 

“Katelyn has inspired me so much throughout the years and I hope to join her in making the 1000 points club next year” junior Isabel Langenberg said. 

Other than basketball, she competed in track, where she placed twelfth overall at state, participates in mission work, part of the National Honor Society and involved in her church.

She was honored for her achievement of scoring 1000 points at a basketball game on Jan. 31. There are only a few more games of the regular season, the next being Feb. 14.

Contact Lauren Crouch at: [email protected]