Vroom Vroom; Oklahoma’s car scene

Car shows can be an interesting place to learn about and see some of your favorite cars.

Parker McGlothlin, Memorial Staff Writer

The car scene in Oklahoma has grown rapidly and accrued millions of followers since the creation of social media sites such as Instagram and Youtube. With a car show almost every week in some parts of the state, thousands of Oklahomans are attending the shows regularly.

Hunter Brown, a junior at Memorial, has been attending car shows since fifth grade and continues to attend shows held in the Oklahoma City area.

“I go to the ‘Cars and Coffee’ car show once a month and the ‘Twin Peaks’ tuner meet on the third Thursday of each month,” Brown said. 

‘Cars and Coffee’ is a popular car show held on the first Saturday of every month at North Park Mall. Enthusiasts can either bring a car to show off or come look at other cars.

“Ever since I was a kid, I can remember watching cars on the road and thinking how cool it would be to drive them,” Brown said. “It has always been a passion of mine.”

Junior Blake Cotton has been interested in trucks since third grade and attends most of the truck shows in the OKC area.

“I have always been into trucks, so when it was time to get my first car I, of course, opted for an old ford pickup,” Cotton said.

With the growth of social media, it has become easier than ever to share videos or pictures with people that share similar interests. Cars and auto manufacturers have grown tremendously in the past few years with advances in computer technology and auto manufacturers. 

Junior Kaden Marsh takes auto mechanics at Francis Tuttle. He has had a passion for cars since the beginning of his sophomore year and attends the OKC car show at the fairgrounds every March. 

“If I could have any car in the world, it would be a ‘69 Mustang,” Marsh said. “I love the style, sound and history behind it.” 

From food to talking to others about their cars, there is always an item of interest for all people at a car show.

Contact Parker McGlothlin at [email protected]