Memorial boys: back on track

Memorial boys: back on track

The boys track team warming up to prepare for a hard practice on Feb. 11.

Lauren Crouch, Memorial Staff Writer

Memorial’s boys track team started the new season off strong by setting new personal records and winning a meet.  

The first meet of the season was held at The University of Oklahoma (OU) Jan. 24. Beginning with the first event, the 3200 meter relay, Memorial won by one second. Followed by Senior Jackson Watts winning a very competitive mile with a fast time of 4:37, which led him to the top three for 6A this year. 

In the last race of the day, the 4×400 relay, the team had an exciting close race against Norman High School but ended with a second place finish.  However, the team ended up winning the meet, scoring a total of 51 points out of 25 teams.

“Coach [David] Sammons and Coach [Chris] Lowrey have provided a consistent workout schedule while continuing to push us and help us improve our times,” junior Jack Carter said. 

Sammons has been coaching track and cross country for 47 years and focuses on the mid distance and distance events. Lowrey prioritizes coaching the sprinting events and forming the relays. In total they have won four team state titles, the last one being two years ago. 

The team has been able to facilitate more workouts, now that they have their own track to practice on across the street and don’t have to run to Central Middle School for practice like last year. 

Hopefully this year we are able to recruit some other athletes from other sports such as basketball,” Lowrey said. “There is a lot of untapped potential in our school and hopefully some of those young men can come help us have a successful winning season.” 

This year, there has been a record-breaking amount of athletes, the majority coming from the freshman class. Most of the runners are in mid-distance events, such as the 400 and 800 meter run, while there is a shortage for the sprinting events. 

I enjoy spending time practicing with my friends and also going to out-of-state meets and being able to bond with my team,” Watts said. “Also, I enjoyed winning the 4×800 and the mile at our first meet of the year was exciting.”

During outdoor season, the team will travel to Kansas then Texas for the state relays to compete with runners from across the nation. 

The preparation and seeing the athletes become better and watching them grow as individuals is great to see,” Lowrey said. “The journey is always the most fun and rewarding part.”

They traveled to Norman once again for the second OU meet, where they weren’t able to come out on top as a team, but held a strong finish as individuals. They won the 3200 meter relay once again, beating a team from Arkansas with a fast time of 8:21. Junior Tyler Jamison qualified for the 60 meter hurdles final, where he placed 6th overall. 

There were only two meets for the indoor season, but the boys team started off strong by winning a meet and achieving multiple personal records. The team is excited to compete outdoors when they will be able to travel out of state and prepare for the state meet in May. 

Contact Lauren Crouch at: [email protected]