Boys swim takes state

The+Memorial+boys+swim+team+had+great+team+success+at+state.+The+team+placed+eighth+and+junior+Max+Myers+broke+a+long-standing+school+record.++

The Memorial boys swim team had great team success at state. The team placed eighth and junior Max Myers broke a long-standing school record.

Rachel Weathers, Staff Writer

The 6A Oklahoma State High School swim meet took place Feb. 21 and 22. and with only four members on the team, Memorial’s boys team took fourth place in the 200 yard relay, sixth place in the 200 yard medley relay and eighth as a team. 

In order for the team to be successful, practice was in order. The team worked both individually and as a team to be prepared for the competition.

“The team worked very hard leading up to state on their underwaters, wall launches and on their dives,” coach Zack Kraeger said.“As a team, they worked on starts and transitions for relays and that helped us become very successful at the meet.”

The team’s work at practice allowed them to reach new accomplishments and place higher than expected. 

“Our team did really well.” junior and team captain Max Myers said. “The boy’s relay went up two places, we had been seeded sixth and moved to fourth place.” 

Because every second counts, there’s always uncertainty in terms of placements, but the team exceeded expectations. 

“It’s hard to know where they will land because every tenth of a second makes a huge difference, especially in relays,” Kraeger said. “I was surprised in their performance for that event.”

For the team’s newest members, competing with high stakes can be daunting, but it can also be rewarding. 

“It was nerve-racking and I knew that it would be difficult, but in the end, I was proud of my team,”  freshman Carson Dolezal said. 

The state meet allowed for new experiences for the team’s members.

“It was a really cool experience to compete at the state level and I know my teammates better now,” freshman Connor Tipton said. 

Memorial’s boys’ team is already looking towards the next season. 

“I would like to have better times on my backstroke and I think the team can do well on the relay next year,” junior Liam Thomson said. 

In addition to the team’s success as a whole, Myers placed second in both the 50 and 100 yard free. This was no surprise to  Kraeger. 

“I knew Max would place in the top three in his individual events since I know how capable of a swimmer he is,” Kraeger said. 

Myers also broke a long-standing school record in the 100 yard free with a time of 45.64 seconds. The previous record was set in 1996 with a time of 46.49 seconds. 

“I knew I was close as I had gone faster than the record in a club meet. I just needed to break it in a high school meet, so I wasn’t sure if it would happen, but I was hoping for it,” Myers said. “I was excited that I set the record at a meet like state.”

Contact Rachel Weathers at [email protected]