Mary McKey running down her dreams

Megan Cherry, Memorial Online Editor-in-Chief

Senior Mary McKey has made a name for herself in the track circuit, where she has competed in multiple national meets and broken state records. She holds the school record for the 60 meter hurdles with a time of 9.06 seconds and is working to beat the state record.

In seventh grade she qualified for the Hershey’s Track and Field Games North American final after winning the Oklahoma meet. She had the fastest time in the region consisting of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, New Mexico and Puerto Rico.

She has been cheered on by her number one fan, her mother Teri. She attends every meet her daughter competes in and takes care of everything behind the scenes.

Hershey’s only accepts eight runners from North America and she was the first Catholic student to qualify, this meet was the beginning of her love for the sport.” Teri said. “She wants to be a big fish in a big pond and national meets kept her aware of the talents of same-age peers across the nation and of their performance standards, which fueled her desire to compete at a higher level.”

McKey competes in the 300 hurdles, 100 hurdles, the 4×2 and the 4×4. She has been running competitively since the sixth grade and continues to improve.

Coach Tyler Sergent has been working with McKey throughout her high school career and pushes her to be the best that she can be.

“She is highly motivated to become a better athlete and teammate and she takes her craft seriously, the art of becoming a good hurdler takes time and commitment,” Sergent said. “She listens and is not afraid to try new things to better herself.”

McKey overcame a strained hip during her sophomore year and it led to her placing fourth at state instead of winning, as was predicted.

“Mary practices and competes on the highest level, she has overcome injuries and worked very hard to become healthy and hungry to become the best hurdler,” Sergent said. “She has broken one school record to date and I can see her breaking more records in the future.”

She plans to continue competing at Oklahoma Baptist University, where she received a full scholarship to run track. Her fastest time in the 300 hurdles is 43.5 seconds which is less than a second off of the state record.

“I love winning, and when I lose, all it does is make me want to work harder,” McKey said. “One of my biggest goals is to run in the Olympics in 2024.”

McKey will continue to train and push to reach the next level of competition, where she will undoubtedly continue to make her family and friends proud.

Contact Megan Cherry at [email protected]