Virtual testing sparks controversy

Pictured above is the logo of the test the juniors had to take online.

Allie Clift, Staff Writer

Every year, Edmond Memorial administers the ACT to the junior class at no cost to the student. The only difference between a regular ACT and the school provided one is, pencil and paper vs. online. Some students have concerns regarding online testing and if it truly embodies their full potential.

“I was a lot more stressed for this ACT with it being online because there was more of a possibility for things to go wrong, like wifi going out,” junior Emma Lewis said.

Typically, ACT tests are provided on pencil and paper when students pay to sign up. This means that most ACT classes also utilize pencil and paper to train and improve for the test. 

“We’ve been practicing for the ACT on paper for so many years and I’m scared the transition to online will be difficult,” Junior Kylie Chutek said.

Not only has the ACT shifted to online within the past few years, but our entire curriculum has shifted as well, especially with COVID-19 keeping students from learning in the classroom on paper. From everyday assignments, to state testing, online learning has become the new normal to students.

“In some ways learning online is good because technology makes things accessible, but it also creates more challenges since we have been doing stuff on paper for so long,” Chutek said. 

Although some students dislike this developing world of technology in the classroom, it seems to be almost inevitable to accept it, and some seem to have already done just that.

“We’ve had really good scores the past two years doing online testing and most students seem to have adapted well,” assistant principal Brandon Kysar said. 

The shifting environment of technology has affected students in many ways and will continue to do so as education continues to grow.

Contact Allie Clift at [email protected]