Edmond Memorial welcomes Chalyn Edson

Miller Davis

Art and Humanities teacher Chalyn Edson

Grace Swisher, Staff Writer

Edmond Memorial High School (EMHS) welcomes several new teachers into the bulldog family this year. One of them being Chalyn Edson, teaching Art and Humanities. 

Edson believes it is an amazing opportunity EMHS chose her to work at the school, as she has a past with our legacy. 

“I have family history within Memorial, my mother and grandmother both worked here, so to join the school as an educator is a dream come true,” Edson said. 

Creativity has always influenced Edson’s life, she has been playing instruments and drawing since she could hold a pencil, and has spent the last seven years involved in orchestra as well as teaching private lessons in chello and art. 

I enjoy being able to watch students create and explore materials in new ways, building skills and applying creativity to all aspects of their lives,” Edson said. “Creative classes are different from most other classes and challenges students to think creatively and problem solve in new ways.” 

Edson has earned her Bachelor of Arts in Education with a minor in Art History at the University of Central Oklahoma. This will be her second year teaching art and her first year teaching humanities. 

“Some of the best people in my life were and are teachers. I’ve always wanted to follow in their footsteps and serve my community in a meaningful way. Sharing my passion with young minds is one of the most rewarding experiences,” Edson said. 

She is excited to work with the wonderful students of EMHS and see where this year takes her. 

“I am super excited to attend the variety of events at Memorial and see my students showcasing their many talents,” Edson said. “The musicals and full orchestra concerts are something I look forward to every year. There’s nothing like watching home games from the press box in our new stadium.”

Edson will without a doubt bring artistic excellence to the new school year. 

Contact Grace Swisher at [email protected]