Former freshman principal returns to Memorial

New Freshman Principal, Carrie Higdon

New Freshman Principal, Carrie Higdon

Macey Thaxton, Staff Writer

Edmond Memorial High School’s (EMHS) original Freshman Principal, Carrie Higdon returned to EMHS this year more excited than ever. 

“I love working with teachers and students, and I loved being a teacher, but then I knew I wanted to do some other opportunities and help teachers,” Higdon said, “I truly have loved it, it’s my passion.” 

Higdon moved on from her job as Freshman Principal at Memorial in 2014 after 13 years of hard work. She left EMHS to work at Cimmaron Middle School for several years and then was at Heartland Middle School for the 2021-2022 school year. The position of Freshman Principal opened up at the end of this past school year after former Freshman Principal, Brandi Wheeler, moved up to head Principal. 

“This position opened up, and I wanted to come back home,” Higdon said.

Higdon graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 1994 with a degree in Sociology and later, Higdon went back to school at the University of Central Oklahoma to receive her masters in Education, graduating in 2001. 

“I’ve been in Edmond for more than 21 years and I’ve loved every minute of it. I’ve always been an Administrator in Edmond. I used to be an eighth-grade history teacher in Moore,” Higdon said.

She enjoys seeing the different sides of students in her office versus the students in the classroom and is working to make a positive impact on student learning. 

“I love it, I can’t honestly imagine doing anything else. I think it’s what I was meant to do,” Higdon said. “It’s just great to be back home with the Bulldogs.”

Contact Macey Thaxton at [email protected]