The student news sites of Edmond Memorial High School.

Polls

This poll has ended.

Favorite cereal?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Counting on Custred

Students at Edmond Memorial High School can easily recognize the enthusiastic and fashion-coordinated

counselor Christine Custred like any celebrity, with her booming voice and friendly attitude. That being said, Custred, with her jam-packed day, makes an effort to remain focused on the high demand of students in her field while following the tight schedule she has set for herself. 

To start her morning, Custred wakes up around 5 a.m. and sets aside an hour to drink a cup of coffee and enjoy one of her favorite shows, “The Real Housewives” or “Beverly Hills.” Once she eats breakfast and finishes, Custred dresses in her coordinated outfit of the day, which has never been the same repeated outfit, earning her recognition for her unique and formal style. After finishing up, Custred heads off to the school for an eventful eight hours at EMHS. 

“It sets my tone for the day. I’m alone; I eat breakfast. I have to eat right away,” Custred said. “It’s my zen; it allows me to be calm before the chaos.”

Arriving at school around 7 a.m, Custred takes time to prepare before the arrival of students, usually consisting of work she might have not yet completed or early visits from students. Throughout the morning hours, Custred is largely busy, especially during the months of enrollment and scheduling, as well as college preparations for seniors. The morning typically contains most of the high traffic student-needs since it’s when people first start interacting in the day

“I always have an agenda, but it’s always going through emails, questions from parents about concurrent, questions from kids now about enrollment,” Custred said. “It depends on the season.”

When lunch time arrives, she allows herself most of the time to fulfill other students’ needs during the lunch hours whilst also eating her lunch. While counselors are allowed to take the time at lunch to catch up on work, or to have a break from the constant scene of students, Custred mostly aims to focus on any students that might need help. Once lunch ends, the remaining hours are left to the counselors for whatever comes their way. Students of Custred themselves have noticed her dedication to her work and the students that attend EMHS, like senior Kate Schnorrenberg. 

“She always takes the time to connect with students on a personal level, and she is focused on helping you succeed in both high school and life in general,” senior Kate Schnorrenerg said. 

After the school day is done, Custred is immediately off to a spin class before returning home to finish the day. She eats dinner with her husband, watches something like a true crime documentary, and goes to bed at 9 p.m. 

Custred has a set schedule almost every day for work and her outside life while maintaining a bright and cheery attitude. So much so, that many of her colleagues, like counselor Tiffany Elerick, have wondered how she keeps up with the energy. 

“Her supportive nature and ability to cheer on her co-workers make her a valuable asset to the team,” Elerick said. 

A day in the life of Custred is rather scheduled, but as a counselor, anything can happen over the course of the school year. Although, with her bright personality and high-achieving performance, she is always willing and working to reach a solution and receives the credit she deserves.

Contact Jordan Graham at [email protected]

About the Contributors
Jordan Graham
Jordan Graham, Co-Editor-in-Chief
Hello! I am Jordan Graham and a senior here at memorial. I am currently one of the Co-Editors and a fourth year journalist for Ruff Draft! Outside of school, I am an Eagle scout and have a love for drawing and all things art. I’m excited for my last year in Newspaper and look forward to this amazing year. 
Macey Thaxton
Macey Thaxton, Co-Editor-in-Chief
Hi there! My name is Macey Thaxton, I’m a senior this year and I’m proud to be one of the Co-Editors-in-Chief for the Ruff Draft! This is my fourth year writing for the newspaper and I’ve loved every moment of it. Outside of school, I’m an 11th-year Girl Scout and a barista at a local coffee shop. I also enjoy reading, writing and traveling in my free time. I’m so excited to write for the Ruff Draft one last time!