Spiderman swings into his viewer’s hearts

“Spiderman: No Way Home” becomes a box office hit.

Adeline Gruen, Staff Writer

“Spiderman: No Way Home” has “swung” into the top ten in box office history and received an 8.8/10 from IMDb and 94% from RottenTomatoes. The film features a classic comic book hero who first appeared in “Amazing Fantasy” issue No.15 in 1962. Eventually, in 1963 Spiderman took on his own comic series written/created by Steve Ditko and Stan Lee. Spiderman soon rose to popularity and starred in countless TV shows and films, the newest movie being “Spiderman: No Way Home” (NWH) which was released on Dec. 17 in the U.S. This is the third film starring actor Tom Holland in the title role and is directly connected to the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). At first, fans were worried about MCU filming a third movie with Holland, but Sony and Disney managed to overcome their disagreement and make this newest masterpiece together.

The movie starts out at the same spot that “Spiderman: Far From Home” ended, with the true identity of Spiderman, Peter Parker, being revealed by Mysterio (Jake Gyllenhall) and Spiderman being framed for all of Mysterio’s crimes. Because of this reveal, Parker discovers how hard it is to keep his superhero and high school persona separate. Spiderman turns to Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) for aid, but his spell to make everyone forget Spiderman’s identity goes wrong causing beings from other universes to fall into the MCU. This brings two other Spidermen (Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield) and all their enemies (Willem Dafoe and Alfred Molina) into Parker’s life. Parker tries to help everyone but ends up making the situation even more dangerous.

Maguire and Garfield have played Spiderman before with Maguire starring in three movies from 2002 to 2007 and Garfield starring in two from 2012 to 2014.  Viewers of NWH grew up watching Garfield and Maguire, and those other spiderman movies were what helped those fans to become interested in the MCU. When the original spiderman actors were brought back to do NWH, fans were beyond excited.

The film was done immaculately and was very easy to follow even for viewers new to the MCU and Spiderman in general. With most MCU films, understanding what is happening and being able to notice all the details requires a large amount of knowledge of previous films in the universe. However, they introduced each new character in a way that made the story flow and eloquently laid out a web of connection to many other films.

Marvel often uses the theme of grief to further their stories and continued to do so brilliantly in NWH. Not only does Spiderman showcase all of the different stages of grief throughout the film but also is seen receiving help from people who have been through the same things and want to help him.

The movie was superb in every way and deserved all the praise that it received. While the film does cover some serious topics it is a must-watch for people of all ages.

Contact Adeline Gruen at [email protected]