Memorial student earns State Superintendent Award

Stephanie Cromer’s year of dedication to her craft led to her being honored with a State Superintendent’s award.

Kelsi Seltenreich, Staff Writer

Last month, junior Stephanie Cromer was awarded the State Superintendent Award for Arts Excellence in the instrumental music category, making her the first Edmond Memorial High School (EMHS) student to receive the award in over two years. This award was given to only 21 students out of the entire state of Oklahoma. Cromer has been playing the flute for six years and was very excited when she learned that she had earned the award.

“I was proud of myself but also super thankful, especially to my flute teacher, since she’s done so much for me,” Cromer said.

Cromer’s best friend and fellow EMHS band member, Adele Drummond, was also very proud of her.

“Stephanie deserved the award because she is a hard worker and committed to excellence in everything she does,” Drummond said. “Not only does she have natural talent, she tries very hard and has worked extremely hard to be as good as she is. Stephanie is the type of person to devote herself to her craft, no matter what it is.”

As part of the EMHS band, Cromer has played in the Wind Symphony Ensemble, received many Superior ratings in solo and ensemble categories, and was a drum major in the marching band this past year. Cromer was also selected for the prestigious Oklahoma Summer Arts Institute last summer, playing in an orchestra composed of Oklahoma’s top high school musicians.

“She is a fantastic leader both by example and by her musical skills. She is always willing to help other students out and is a wonderful person,” EMHS Band Director Jeff Jahnke said.

Cromer made winning this award a goal and worked hard on her application. This award is more proof of Cromer’s talent and hardwork.

Contact Kelsi Seltenreich at [email protected]