Emily Busey declared as Oklahoma history teacher of the year

Edmond+Memorial+teacher+Emily+Busey+has+been+awarded+the+Oklahoma+history+teacher+of+the+year.+

Jordan Graham

Edmond Memorial teacher Emily Busey has been awarded the “Oklahoma history teacher of the year.”

Jordan Graham and Ryder Richardson

Edmond Memorial High School’s (EMHS) teacher Emily Busey has recently been honored as “Oklahoma History Teacher of the Year.”

Busey has taught many courses at EMHS, with AP (advanced placement) U.S. History (APUSH) and AP World History being her current classes while previously being involved in debate club and Youth and Government (YAG). She had previously worked at Central Middle School as an 8th grade U.S History teacher as well as a leadership teacher for 8 years, making her total time as a teacher 12 years. Many have recognized her for her ability to remain updated on quite a bit of school curriculums.

“I hear people tell me all the time that I’m a really creative and innovative teacher but I do believe I’m more engaging than other teachers and have a way of pulling students in,” Busey said.

To her surprise, Busey had received an email, at the end of 2021, explaining that a previous EMHS coworker, Dalton Savage, had nominated her for the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American HistoryOklahoma History Teacher of the Year” award, and in August of 2022, Busey was informed that she had won the award.

“I was excited, and I immediately told my family, my husband and my coworkers,” Busey said.

The award ceremony was held at the Oklahoma History Center where many of Busey’s colleagues and Edmond administrators came to congratulate and recite speeches for her, including previous EMHS principal Dr. Anthony Rose. One particular colleague, counselor Christine Custred and previous AP U.S. History teacher, made a heartwarming starter speech. Custred explained that she had been working directly with Busey and praised the work she had put into the online schoolwork during the COVID-19 lockdown and how she continues to be fun and educating back in the classrooms.

“Emily is a teacher that creates an atmosphere of belonging in her classroom.  She encourages and rewards intellectual curiosity, scholarship and fun.  EMHS is so lucky to have her and I hope her students truly understand how blessed they are to be in her class,” Custred said.

However, praises for Busey are not just from staff. Senior Anya Thompson had given an uplifting speech that recognized Busey for her always positive attitude and constant work to make the classroom a safe and enjoyable environment. Thompson goes on to describe Busey as not only hard-working but accepting and loving towards her students.

“She’s one of my favorite teachers of all time, and every student who’s been taught by her would say the same,” Thompson said.

As she strives to teach students that history is important knowledge, she focuses on bringing opportunity into the classroom and looks towards the students’ future, ensuring that she aids them in the best way she can.Busey has and will continue to make a difference in all of her students’ lives and her work and devotion to her job and history has left an impression on her coworkers, students and EMHS.

Contact Jordan Graham and Ryder Richardson at [email protected]