Favorite cereal?

The final battle of Oklahoma

OSU and OU took each other on for potentially the last time.

With the University of Oklahoma taking its talents to the Southeastern Conference, this year’s Bedlam game is the last one for the foreseeable future. This final Bedlam came down to the wire, an appropriate ending for such a classic matchup. In the end, however, it was Oklahoma State University who took home the win.

Going into the game, OU was ranked ninth in the nation, while OSU was ranked 22nd which set up an electric atmosphere in Stillwater. This highly anticipated matchup started off fast with OSU scoring a touchdown within the first four minutes. Ollie Gordon II scored the touchdown, who had been on an absolute tear leading up to this game, averaging 250 scrimmage yards per game with nine touchdowns. 

Shutting down Gordon II was a necessity for OU. The Sooners found their footing by scoring and tying the game midway through the first quarter. After a quick punt by OSU, OU found themselves in position to take the lead. However, Sooner running back Jovantae Barnes fumbled, turning over the ball on OSU’s 43-yard line. 

The second quarter started off with the Cowboys quickly scoring due to the Sooners’s fumble, putting them up 14-7. Following this OU was held to a quick three and out, leading to a Cowboy possession where they scored a field goal to extend the lead to ten. OU struck back quickly however behind the play of OU’s duo of quarterback Dillion Gabriel and wide receiver Drake Stoops.

The third quarter was more of a defensive battle as both teams threw interceptions and they combined for three turnovers on downs. However, this quarter saw the Sooners take the lead after a huge 23-yard touchdown rush by running back Tawee Walker. Walker has been having a solid season with 444 rushing yards and six touchdowns so far this season. Going into the fourth quarter OU had the lead 21-14. 

The fourth quarter was an absolute battle, with OSU starting out scoring ten unanswered points thanks to Gordon II’s touchdown followed by a made field goal the next drive. OSU never looked back from there, surviving a couple of impressive, but not quite good enough, OU drives. They ended up winning the game 21-17, an absolute huge win for the underdog. 

Bedlam has been a staple of Oklahoma for years now, with the rivalry between the state’s two biggest colleges being one of the biggest storylines each and every year. It will be interesting to see if they ever figure something out in the future to allow for Bedlam to continue. Even then it would be highly unlikely that they would face every year as has been accustomed. If this really was the last time people see this historic match-up, it was an incredible game to end with. 

Contact Lathan Pearce at [email protected]

About the Contributor
Lathan Pearce
Lathan Pearce, Staff Writer
Hello, my name is Lathan Pearce. I’m a senior, and this will be my third year on staff. My freshman year, I was in the Intro to Journalism class being taught by upperclassman team leaders, and now this year, I’m a team leader. I enjoy writing about many subjects, whether it’s movie/show reviews, features or sports. I’m a big Oklahoma City Thunder fan, and also support the Arkansas Razorbacks. Lastly, I have two cats, Eliza, who is full of energy, and Poku, who’s the laziest cat I’ve ever met.