Favorite cereal?

2024 award season recap

This years award season brought the drama.

Three of the most prominent film awards shows were held in the first two weeks of 2024, the Golden Globes, the Critics Choice Awards and the Emmys. The shows have gained so much attention online, and not only because of the awards and the fashion. It was clear who won this award season, and who did not win as many awards as fans expected.

Christopher Nolan’s “Oppenheimer” dominated this award season with 13 awards. It received five prestigious Golden Globes, including best drama motion picture, best director of a motion picture  and best actor in a drama motion picture (Cillian Murphy). At the Critics Choice Awards, “Oppenheimer” received 13 nominations and won eight categories, including best picture and best director.

In terms of close runners-up to “Oppenheimer,” no one provided fierce competition, but Yorgos Lanthimos’ “Poor Things” and Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie” did win many awards over the past few weeks. “Poor Things” received two Golden Globes including best musical or comedy motion picture. Considered by many to be the movie of the summer, “Barbie” did not do as well as fans hoped, only claiming eight awards so far. “Barbie” won the first ever cinematic and box office achievement” and best original song for “What Was I Made For?” by Billie Eilish and Finneas O’Connell at the Golden Globes. 

In the television series categories, “Succession” came out on top with a whopping 18 total awards. From the Golden Globes, “Succession” won big with awards like best performance by a female actor in a television series–drama (Sarah Snook), best performance by a male actor in a television series – drama (Kieran Culkin) and best television series-drama. It also claimed the Critics Choice Award for best drama series. “Succession” also saw success at the Emmys, claiming the award for outstanding drama series and outstanding directing for a drama series.

Honorable mentions that claimed many other awards are “The Holdovers” directed by Alexander Payne, “Anatomy of a Fall” directed by Justine Triet and the television series “Beef” created by Lee Sung Jin.

The awards were not the only part that went viral, though. Comedian Jo Koy, the host of the event, garnered attention for his jokes. Many people found the jokes to be inappropriate and offensive, with notes of underlying sexism. Later that week the host of the Critics Choice Awards, Chelsea Handler, poked fun at Koy saying, “Thank you for laughing at that. My writers wrote it.” referring to when Koy said, “I wrote some of these, and they’re the ones you’re laughing at.”

Additionally, singer Elton John achieved EGOT status by winning the Emmy for outstanding variety special (live). Many fans were disappointed that the prequel series to “Breaking Bad,” “Better Call Saul” was nominated for 53 Emmys over the years of its runtime (2015-2022) and received 0 wins total.

The Academy released the Oscar nomination list on January 23. Many fans expressed their disappointment that Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie were not nominated for “Best Director” and “Best Actress” respectively.  

Award season has not ended yet, with future events like The Grammys (Feb. 4), British Academy of Film and Television Arts Awards (Feb. 18), The Oscars (March 10) and The Tony Awards (June 16).

Contact Macey Thaxton at [email protected]

About the Contributor
Macey Thaxton
Macey Thaxton, Co-Editor-in-Chief
Hi there! My name is Macey Thaxton, I’m a senior this year and I’m proud to be one of the Co-Editors-in-Chief for the Ruff Draft! This is my fourth year writing for the newspaper and I’ve loved every moment of it. Outside of school, I’m an 11th-year Girl Scout and a barista at a local coffee shop. I also enjoy reading, writing and traveling in my free time. I’m so excited to write for the Ruff Draft one last time!