Softballs incredible 2021 season

The+softball+team+celebrates+after+defeating+Moore+to+solidify+themselves+as+regional+champions.+

The softball team celebrates after defeating Moore to solidify themselves as regional champions.

Jaden Scamehorn, Staff Writer

Edmond Memorial High School softball has a history of domination, having won their last state title in 2019. They are expected to do big things every year. 

The softball season started with tons of concern for the Lady Dogs as a key injury caused players to question how they would perform without star senior pitcher Jill Dickson.

“Jill Dickson had to have surgery on her ankle, so we were all a little nervous for our season. Not having her for the start of the season was a huge setback,” 3rd baseman senior Mia Holliman said.

Dickson, who recently committed to Oklahoma Christian University has a huge impact on the team when she’s on the field.

The future of Memorial softball is certainly bright as these freshmen, regardless of their grade, were able to compete at such a high level. 

“Our freshman pitchers took over and they really filled in where we needed them to. That helped us out a whole lot,” Holliman said.

While the team may consist of plenty of talent, the team had to work hard. 

You have to show up to compete and get better everyday. A lot can happen throughout the season even though it seems to fly by,” softball assistant coach Kayla Carlsward said. “Other teams are getting better everyday, so we had to do the same. We had to show up mentally and physically every day to compete at this level.”

Training was a very important part to having such an amazing season. In order to have the success this team did, they worked hard every single day. 

This team is truly something special to me. I love each of them like my own, and they truly are a unique group with good team chemistry. That has helped carry them this far as well in their successes,” Carlsward said.

Team chemistry also has a major role in success. The connections and bonds these players built with one another helped them remain on top.

The girls have loved having The Dog Pound out in left field at our home games. They definitely had a huge impact on us while we played,” said Holliman. 

Edmond Memorial has a student section like no other. The Dog Pound is at almost every single game, regardless of the sport or event. 

“This team means so much to me. We have a really special group of girls. This was my last year playing softball and I’ve played for 13 years, so this is honestly really like a family to me. We do stuff on the field all the time, and we hang out pretty much all the time off the field,” said Holliman. “I felt like I saw these girls more than my family during softball season. It was a great season, and while I’m sad it’s over, I’m very grateful for the time I got to spend with these girls.” 

Contact Jaden Scamehorn at ruffdraftemhs.net