Dancing David Jernigan

David Jernigan is Winter Guard’s newest superstar.

Bridget Nye, Staff Writer

With the new semester in full swing, many sports and activities are at the school into the late hours of the day. One group is Edmond Memorial High School Winterguard.

With both junior varsity and varsity practicing multiple nights a week, the students are working hard to make this year’s show the best it can be. One person who has been working their hardest this season is David Jernigan. 

Jernigan is a senior who plays the French horn in the EMHS Wind Symphony band. He has also been a drum major for Memorial’s band since his sophomore year. He plays a big part in the band community and decided to take it a step further by trying out for winter guard. 

“I really love tossing weapons, so I thought why not try out,” Jernigan said.

This is Jernigan’s first season on guard and he is impressing everyone with his skills, even making the weapon line, which includes spinning rifle and sabre, the more advanced pieces of equipment.  

“One might worry about this being his first season, but he’s a natural,” junior member Grace Long said. “Our captain helped him before tryouts to learn rifle. David is now arguably our strongest member on rifle.” 

While this is his first time being a part of guard, this isn’t the first time he has picked up a flag. He has been known to spin in his yard for long periods of time before even joining the team. So the girls were prepared when he came to tryouts. 

“I was not surprised when David auditioned for guard,” senior captain Abby Graham said. “He has always been interested in guard and he used to send me videos of tossing in his backyard. So when he told me he was auditioning, I was not surprised.” 

Since Jernigan is at a higher skill level than most first time members, he is able to play a bigger part of the show and is going to be a featured part of the routine with the other soloists. 

“I’m excited to see David perform with London, our dance soloist this season,” Long said. “He also has big tosses on rifles which are impressive, and slightly nerve racking! It’s going to be a great season.”

Winter guard is an activity that centers a lot on dance. Because of this, it is mainly a female dominated activity. However, Jernigan didn’t let this stop him from enjoying his time on the team. He is letting this time shape him into a better person. 

“It’s definitely out of my comfort zone, but that’s how people become better versions of themselves,” Jernigan said. 

The team is excited to have him on the team. He is ready to finally be a part of the guard experience. So come out to support Jernigan and the rest of the EMHS Winter Guard at the first competition on February 19th. They will be representing the school with pride. 

For more information contact Bridget Nye at [email protected]