“Euphoria” might not be as impractical as one would think

Overview of Euphorias latest season.

Overview of Euphorias latest season.

Grace Swisher, Staff Writer

As the second season of “Euphoria” comes to an end, most wonder how accurately the show demonstrates American high schools. Some argue that few aspects of the show truly capture the lives of high school students, while others see themselves in the characters. 

The incredibly popular HBO show, follows the lives of a group of teens as they go through the ups and downs of their adolescent years, unpacking heavy topics in just eight episodes. The issue with the show is that it is said to be wildly unrealistic and that no other high school student lives though these experiences that the they face. 

However, this is what makes the show so addicting to watch. No, I have never seen a girl violently fight with her sister on stage in front of the entire school about the play she wrote revealing personal details from their childhood. Nor have I ever seen a relationship quite as toxic as the characters Maddy Perez (Alexa Demie) and Nate Jacobs (Jacob Elordi). And never have I seen the intense blackmailing that happens throughout the season, but that keeps me intrigued. 

“Euphoria” makes the viewer never want to look away from the screen. This is mostly because every scene is filled with something valuable to the plot of the show, it just so happens to be that these scenes feature things most people will never experience in their life. 

Looking at the show in a different perspective, it’s not completely unrealistic. Many aspects of the show reveal truthful and real parts of teenage life. Scenes including intrusive thoughts, backstabbing best friends and drama are all common in high school. Even though I don’t relate to Cassie’s obsession with Nate or why she decided to betray her closest friend, I do relate, as many others, to the feeling of betrayal. It is easier to relate to some of the characters as I find myself intrigued by drama just how Maddy does in the show, or how Rue (Zendaya) goes through depressive episodes or maybe how Kat (Barbie Ferreira) struggles to find her real identity in the first season. The small parts of relation I feel to each person is another factor that makes this show so amazing.

The second season of “Euphoria” transformed the characters from teenagers living unrealistic, impractical and dangerous lives to now teenagers with still just as crazy lives, however with a touch of relatable struggles. This season grew my connection to the characters as they portrayed their issues so well I found myself having a sympathetic view towards them. 

The writers managed to find the perfect amount of impractical scenarios to keep the show interesting, yet created the right amount of relatability to keep me watching.

Contact Grace Swisher at [email protected]