State testing is inconvenient

Hailey Paddock, Staff Writer

April means it is time for Edmond Memorial High School juniors to participate in the dreaded state testing. From history and science to the ACT (American College Test) with writing juniors take them all within a month’s span. Each one of these tests consumes the first half of the day and takes morning class time away from the students.

The only test that most students value is the ACT with the other two tests being considered blow-offs. After hearing from different teachers that the test doesn’t affect whether or not one graduates, students said that there is no reason to put in much effort. The history and science are assessments for the state to evaluate where every student is at education-wise. The ACT is the only exam that can actually benefit a junior through scholarships.

Many students weren’t even aware that the tests were happening until the last week of March, meaning the students who had already signed up to take the ACT on April 2 had to take it again less than a week later. I had found out through one of my teachers before the rest of the students were informed, which caused a lot of confusion due to the lack of knowledge about the tests.

For many Advanced Placement (AP) students, they missed key information for the AP exams coming up in less than a month due to state testing schedules. Also, many teachers continued with their lesson plans even with half the class missing due to the limited amount of time left in the year. As an AP student, missing classes such as AP Chemistry and AP U.S. History was stressful to make up, and I found myself confused because I missed critical concepts and information my teachers went over.

Although these tests are required, taking them in April is the worst possible time considering how close school is to the end and most students are reviewing for AP tests and semester exams. The tests were nearly the same thing that all middle school students have to take, so why, as a junior with bigger priorities, are we forced to miss important information? Instead, the exams should be taken in January or even February, given that those two months are not quite as busy for AP students and those studying for finals, or possibly requiring sophomores to take them considering they normally have fewer AP classes.

Overall, these required exams are proving to be an inconvenience to students. The state tests are something that needed to be planned better to fit most students’ end of the year schedules. 

Contact Hailey Paddock at [email protected]