Favorite cereal?

Fashion fun during Swine Week

Students+dressed+up+all+week+long+to+support+Swine+Week+this+year.+
Macey Thaxton
Students dressed up all week long to support Swine Week this year.
  • Students dressed up all week long to support Swine Week this year.

With a fun jersey, crazy celebrities and glowing colors, the Edmond Memorial High School Swine Week dress-up days are something students look forward to every year. 

2024’s Swine Week theme was “Back in Swine,” but not all were happy because the Swine Week dress-up days did not correlate to the theme. Even though some students did not agree with this specific lineup of dress-up days, it still made the week more fun and added to the excitement of Swine Week.

Starting the week, Monday’s assembly theme was class competition. To match the assembly, the students wore specific colors to display their class pride. Additionally, staff wore all black to make the students’ bright outfits all the more prominent. Students patiently await this day each year, looking forward to seeing the sea of red, blue, white and pink. In the array of colors, every grade was represented differently, but it brought all students together through the identity of school spirit.

To kick off Tuesday’s teachers vs. students assembly, students wore jerseys to prompt the spirit of the basketball game, dodgeball showdown and wrestling match. These victories of the games were done in the bright and bold variety of jerseys, creating bonds of togetherness in students throughout the school.

On Wednesdays “We wear pink,” or rather, neon pink. The techno assembly brought all glowing outfits into a new perspective. With the breezeway hallway and gym lit with black lights, the students showed off their neon colors and embraced their illuminating colors. 

Some may call it a chance to play dress up, but Thursday’s celebrity day was much more than that. With the main assembly being “Squeal of Fortune,” students represented the dress-up day by wearing and mimicking some of the most influential and inspirational people, bringing the admired celebrities to life. From Benjamin Franklin to Taylor Swift, all types of famous people could be seen throughout the hallways.

During the last and most exciting assembly on Friday, everyone wears the official Swine Week shirt. The 2024 Swine Week shirt costs $25 and has the blocky letters of “Swine Week” on the front with clipart-looking symbols that correspond with this year’s theme. This is a staple day that many look forward to every year because it represents everybody’s idea of unity in fundraising. 

With all the fun the Swine Week dress-up days can bring, they do not always correlate with the overall theme. For example, Thursday’s celebrity day could be swapped with a decade’s day to add to the enjoyment of Swine Week by matching the “Back in Swine” theme. While there are traditional EMHS Swine Week dress-up days, a touch of association with the theme could bring more to the exciting week. This has also been an issue in the past. Last year’s Swine Week theme was “Around the Boarld,” and there was also no dress-up day parallel to the theme. 

Swine Week is undoubtedly one of the most highly anticipated weeks of the school year, however, there should be more tie-in to the overall theme. This adds to the thrilling week by allowing students to showcase their personalities, making the activities more entertaining.

Contact Anna Vitiello at [email protected]

About the Contributors
Anna Vitiello
Anna Vitiello, Staff Writer
Hey, my name is Anna Vitiello. I'm a sophomore, and this is my first year writing for staff. Outside of Journalism, I play baritone and trombone in the EMHS band, along with the sophomore representative for Key Club. I am very excited to be part of the Ruff Draft, and can't wait to continue for years to come!
Macey Thaxton
Macey Thaxton, Co-Editor-in-Chief
Hi there! My name is Macey Thaxton, I’m a senior this year and I’m proud to be one of the Co-Editors-in-Chief for the Ruff Draft! This is my fourth year writing for the newspaper and I’ve loved every moment of it. Outside of school, I’m an 11th-year Girl Scout and a barista at a local coffee shop. I also enjoy reading, writing and traveling in my free time. I’m so excited to write for the Ruff Draft one last time!