Favorite cereal?

Teachers versus students: the ultimate showdown

• Students dominated the teachers in Tuesday’s Student vs. Teacher assembly.

• Students dressed up all week long to support Swine Week this year.

If there is one thing that Edmond Memorial High School is known for, it is Swine Week and the crazy assemblies that come with it–one of those being Tuesday’s sports-themed assembly. While a seemingly innocent theme by itself, what truly makes the second Swine Week assembly memorable is the two teams that are pitted against each other for each sport: teachers versus students.

As per tradition, this assembly started with the singing of the national anthem by EMHS’s very own Act II. Their harmonized voices could be heard throughout the gymnasium before the student body finished the last line of their own mighty “Home of the Dogs!”

After the opening act, it was time for the teacher versus student basketball game. The lights dimmed, music blared and a booming voice came over the speakers, announcing the starting lineup for the student’s team. This announcement effectively energized all students for the players that would be representing them. However, their pride quickly took a hit when the first basket of the game was scored by Patricia Pinto, a Spanish teacher and previous shooting guard for the Colombian National Women’s basketball team. From there on, the game became even more intense, with the ball seemingly changing hands every few seconds. In the end, though, the first half of the student versus teacher-basketball game finished with the teachers leading 14-8.

It would not be a true sporting event without an amazing halftime show, which is exactly what the teachers of EMHS provided for their students. This year, the theme for the halftime dance was Super Bowl halftime performances throughout the years. College algebra teacher Courtney Smith played the opening act, leading the other teachers from the math department in a rendition of “Thriller,” where she took on the persona of Michael Jackson. The Spanish department then followed with their own performance of Prince’sBaby I’m a Star.” Other acts include pieces from “California Love” by Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg and “Single Ladies” by Beyonce. However, the performance that seemed to pull the strongest reaction out of students was when the male teachers put on “BootyLicious” by Destiny’s Child. 

Fueled by their loss, the student team came into the second half with new energy. This time it was the students who scored the first point with an amazing three-point shot made by StuCo member Turner deFreese a few minutes into the game. After a complex period of the ball switching hands back and forth, the student team managed to pull ahead of the teachers with just two minutes left on the clock.  It looked as though the students were going to claim victory over the teachers until the game went into overtime, where Kayla Carlsward, coach of EMHS’s softball, proceeded to shoot three different corner shots in a row. Unable to regain their previous lead, the students lost to the teachers with a final score of 28-21. 

Despite the disappointing loss to the teachers, student hopes did not stay down for long. Immediately following the basketball game, StuCo put on a competition of slip-in-slide tug-o-war. The catch, however, was that the student competitors were tied to teachers who happened to also be their parents. First to compete were freshman English teacher, as well as yearbook and StuCo advisor, Elanna Dobbs and her sophomore daughter Scout Killackey. Following the mother-daughter duo were chemistry teacher T.J. Dortch and his son Cade Dortch. Despite the teachers coming out victorious over their soap-covered children, there was not a single hard feeling in sight as T.J. pulled his son in for a hug as the pair walked away. 

Of course, the second assembly of Swine Week would not be complete without the BBQ wrestling match. This year, it was sophomore Deakon Hancock pitted against chemistry teacher Gabe Simpson. Simpson had Handcock pinned nearly from the start, despite the added trials that the BBQ sauce offered. It looked like a clear win for the teachers before Brody Bulmahn came in as a partner for Hancock. After a long and messy fight filled with many slips, together, the two managed to pin Simpson, claiming a victory for the students. 

Despite it only being the second day of Swine Week assemblies, StuCo has done an amazing job so far with organizing the events so that everything goes smoothly and efficiently. Whether it be cheering on their classmates in a basketball game against their teachers or watching as their fellow peers roll around in BBQ, EMHS students enjoy partaking in the schoolwide assemblies that will be put on every day this week. 

Contact Tayah Darks at [email protected]

About the Contributors
Tayah Darks
Tayah Darks, Contributing Writer
Hi! My name is Tayah Darks. I am a senior. Outside of school I enjoy reading and listening to music, specifically songs that are within the genre of folk or indie. Some of my favorite authors are Alice Oseman and Maggie Stiefvater. I plan to go to OSU this upcoming fall to major in English.
Macey Thaxton
Macey Thaxton, Co-Editor-in-Chief
Hi there! My name is Macey Thaxton, I’m a senior this year and I’m proud to be one of the Co-Editors-in-Chief for the Ruff Draft! This is my fourth year writing for the newspaper and I’ve loved every moment of it. Outside of school, I’m an 11th-year Girl Scout and a barista at a local coffee shop. I also enjoy reading, writing and traveling in my free time. I’m so excited to write for the Ruff Draft one last time!