Favorite cereal?

Squealing with fun at the new game show assembly

• This year’s new assembly, Squeal of Fortune, caught students’ attention with crazy dares and fun events.

• Students dressed up all week long to support Swine Week this year.

Edmond Memorial High School’s annual tradition of Swine Week is about to come to a close, but there was still time to have some fun at the Thursday assembly. The theme for the Thursday assembly was “Squeal of Fortune,” a game show assembly whose name is a parody of the hit television game show, “Wheel of Fortune.” This year was the first time they chose this theme, and  Cooper Praytor, Brighton Loberg and Claire McKinnon hosted the multiple games throughout the assembly. On top of that, $10,000 was matched for all the money collected during the various money runs.

The assembly started with a parody game of the hit game show “Family Feud,” which perfectly matched up with the celebrity dress-up day theme. There were two teams, one all-girls and the other one all-boys and at the start, they would state their name and “profession.” These included Kanye West’s ex-wife, president and professional ukulele player. Contestants were asked questions such as “Which EMHS sport or club is most likely to be least eligible,” “If you could be any teacher, who would you be?” and “If you were to perform a devious lick, what would you take first?” The game ended up tied, so both teams had to drink the “mystery smoothie,” a blend of spoiled milk, various condiments and other disgusting expired food. 

The next game was a parody of dating shows, in which varsity pom dancer, Emerson Krisher, had to choose between four different suitors, one representing each grade, while being blindfolded. The boys were asked questions, such as “Where would you go on a first date?” and “What is your favorite thing about her?” Krisher would eliminate the boys based on her personal preferences and who sounded better. When only the freshman and sophomore representatives remained, the student council conducted a money run to determine the final winner. The freshman representative, Bekette Freel,  won in the end. Freel and Krishner later had a “romantic dinner date” in the middle of the EMHS gymnasium, with other EMHS students, David Pehrson and Chidi Ibe, playing “Careless Whisper” on the saxophone and violin music for them.

Next up was a parody of “The Masked Singer,” in which a student dressed up as Spike, EMHS’s mascot, and sang a song. The judging panel, made up of three teachers, tried to guess who was behind the mask. Before his performance a video showing hints of his true identity was played on the screen, to give the teachers clues about him. He removed the mask, revealing himself to be Braden Flud, and made a surprise prom-posal to Delaney Schmidt.

EMHS Principal Brandi Wheeler was brought out to play ten rounds of a game called, “Memorial or Not.” In this game, Wheeler was shown a series of random photos, and she would guess if they were EMHS students or not to show if she truly knew all the students at school. If her answer was wrong, a marshmallow would be placed in her mouth.

The assembly came to an end with a game of “the floor is lava.” Contestants had to make their way through an obstacle course without touching the floor. The mats on the floor were also covered in dish soap and oil, causing them to be very slippery, so contestants could go through the course by slipping the obstacles through the course and eventually making it to the end. The losers would be covered in maple syrup and glitter. 

I personally really enjoyed this assembly, especially the first game, because it was very funny. This was my favorite assembly of the whole week because I enjoy parodies and they played more games, as compared to the other assemblies. It would be great if they continue having this theme for Swine Week going forward.

Contact Noelia Ocampo at [email protected]

About the Contributors
Noelia Ocampo
Noelia Ocampo, Staff Writer
Hello! My name is Noelia Ocampo. I’m a sophomore at Memorial and this is my first year writing on staff. I joined intro during my freshman year and ended up staying because of how much I liked it. I enjoy anything related to science and history and I also like to garden and make bracelets during my free time.
Macey Thaxton
Macey Thaxton, Co-Editor-in-Chief
Hi there! My name is Macey Thaxton, I’m a senior this year and I’m proud to be one of the Co-Editors-in-Chief for the Ruff Draft! This is my fourth year writing for the newspaper and I’ve loved every moment of it. Outside of school, I’m an 11th-year Girl Scout and a barista at a local coffee shop. I also enjoy reading, writing and traveling in my free time. I’m so excited to write for the Ruff Draft one last time!