The Drowsy Chaperone

Edmond Memorial is known for putting on well known musical’s such as last spring’s “Mary Poppins.”

Anna Baustert, Memorial Staff Writer

Auditions for Edmond Memorial’s new comedy musical “The Drowsy Chaperone” were held Jan. 27 and 28. The musical is set to be held on April 2-4 with 16 roles and 48 cast members.

One of the leads for the musical, senior Jaylen Diller expresses her excitement. 

“I’m honestly so excited to be doing this new show,” Diller said. “I think it will be tons of fun and overall a great experience!” 

Wes Singleton has decided on “The Drowsy Chaperone” because it is a simple yet extremely entertaining musical that will amuse the audience as well as the cast. Whereas “Singing in the Rain” has its complex characters and dance style. 

Throughout all the disruptions with “Singing in the Rain,” the Singletons and the cast have persevered forward. 

“I have directed this show before,” Singleton said. “There’s a good ensemble cast and it gives kids the chance to be on stage and have their own role.”

Directing alongside him as co-director is Mary Beth Singleton. Helping both the Singletons is Ms. Flood, Anthony Reece and the parent organization.

Singleton had decided on “The Drowsy Chaperone” because it will be easier to manage than “Singing in the Rain” with its complex characters and dance style. “The Drowsy Chaperone” is a simple yet extremely entertaining musical that will amuse the audience as well as the cast.

“We needed to do a show I was familiar with and I wanted to offer my choir kids more opportunities to be in the musical,” Singleton said. 

Along with the changes in the musical came re-auditions. The original musical “Singing in the Rain,” was changed to allow more students to be involved. This caused the cast list to bump up to 48 members, most of which are ensemble members. 

“I think the large number of cast members is a blessing but it may also prove to be a challenge,” Diller said.

Despite all the chaos, the Singletons have been able to pull through and produce an amazing cast and soon-to-be musical. 

Tune in April 2-4 to see all showings of the comedy “The Drowsy Chaperone.” 

Contact Anna Baustert at [email protected]