Underdogs to champions

The team celebrates after winning Regionals.

Kelsi Seltenreich, Memorial Staff Writer

Memorial’s softball team continues to impress. After winning state last year, this year the team has continued their success, winning 31 out of 35 games and becoming Regional Champions. The former underdogs will be going to state Oct. 15-17 to try to maintain their title of state-champs, (a title that means a lot to the team).

“I can’t describe the feeling, because the year before we won state we had one of the worst records in school history and to bounce back after that is still shocking to me,” Junior Mandi Lenon said. “The environment around the state games is crazy and I want to go back and relive it all the time.”

Memorial softball) hadn’t made it to state in over 10 years, but last year something changed. They became unstoppable and proved that they weren’t a team to be taken lightly. Not only are they ranked the number one high school softball team in the state of Oklahoma, but as of Oct. 7, MaxPreps says they are ranked fourth in the nation.

Junior Mia Holliman and the other 13 members of the team have strong friendships and that paired with hard work has led the team to success.

“These girls genuinely care for one another and want the best for everyone,” Holliman said.

Besides practicing every day, the team often hangs out together outside of school. This helps the team build their bond for better teamwork, and to make lifelong friendships. Every Wednesday they have a bible study before practice, which also unites the team and helps prepare them.

The love between students doesn’t stop with the players. Softball coach, Janet Chartney, is proud of the team and the work they put in.

“I am so grateful for the wonderful student athletes that played with passion and confidence throughout our season. We are truly blessed as a softball staff at EMHS,” Chartney said.

Memorial’s softball team keeps exceeding expectations and surprising people all over Oklahoma. Sophomore Leah McAnnally committed to the University of Oklahoma’s softball team last year as a freshman, something that rarely happens. It displays the talent of the players, and that they are ready for anything.

“Our goal is to win state again. With the talent on the team that is something that we can achieve.” Chartney said. “We just have to stay focused and together to make it happen.”

The softball team’s season is almost over, and state will be the last games played of the season. The team is ready to give it their all, and hopefully take victory again.

Contact Kelsi Seltenreich at [email protected]