Are AP classes really worth it?

AP classes are beneficial for students.

AP classes are beneficial for students.

Grace Swisher, Staff Writer

Advanced Placement (AP) classes are proclaimed to be the hardest classes to take in high school, however they’re also said to have benefits that are worth all the strenuous work. 

What are the benefits? AP Language and Composition teacher Kevin McDonald has been working as an AP teacher for 24 years and explains that the advantages of taking the AP route are major. 

The academic benefit to AP classes is seeing college level work before you are in college.  Not surprisingly, college classes feel much easier if it’s not the first time that you’ve been asked to think or work that hard,” McDonald said. “The business benefit is that you might get college credit for a qualifying score on an exam,”  

Obtaining college credit by taking these classes in high school is a huge plus. Not only does this save money, but also puts the individual ahead of their other classmates when being analyzed by colleges. However, in order to receive credit one must have to pass the AP exam for that course and even then, credit is not guaranteed as every college has different regulations for giving credit for AP classes.

Junior Allie Arie believes that the advantages outweigh the cons.

“AP classes are great preparation for college and definitely help to strengthen transcripts. The class experience in general is much more diverse and interesting than on-level classes, they provide a better learning environment and a greater challenge for academically-driven students,” Arie said. 

Junior Aleeza Azeem is enrolled in four AP classes this school year, but it’s not only about acquiring college credit for her. 

Having a good background in a subject is better in my opinion than getting a five on the exam, as you can comprehend and elaborate on the topic, which can help you obtain a good grade in your college education,” Azeem said. 

These classes are suitable for academically driven students or anyone who wants to be prepared for college course level work. Before taking the courses, it’s important to understand what kind of responsibilities being took on and how these challenges can be different than a normal classroom. 

“Staying on top of your work can have a huge impact on AP course success,” McDonald said. “As for disadvantages to AP classes, I think that there is greater flexibility and responsibility with the course work. If you can’t manage your time and effort well, then you can find yourself in trouble.”

AP courses can be challenging with lengthy assignments and maximum effort needed to succeed in the class. And while this may come off as a concern, learning through the advanced placement program sets students up for college and higher education classrooms. Starting college courses in high school might save money and time, but beneficial academic experiences are guaranteed. With the 30 AP courses Edmond Memorial has to offer, there is a class to fit every student.

Contact Grace Swisher at [email protected]