EMHS prom falls below students’ expectations

EMHS prom night wasn’t quite what students hoped for.

Macey Thaxton, Staff Writer

Movies portray prom as the peak high school experience and a moment that teenagers look forward to for many years. Despite the high expectations for prom this year, Edmond Memorial High School (EMHS) robbed students’ dreams of a picture-perfect prom. 

Rumors began circulating at the beginning of April that prom would be held on the EMHS football field, instead of a venue like Fall Ball. Many quickly became upset and frustrated with the EMHS prom coordinators, especially as Edmond North High School hosted its prom at the Oklahoma History Center and Edmond Santa Fe High School’s dance was at the University of Central Oklahoma Ballroom. According to those involved with the planning process, one reason prom was held on the football field this year is that it is a larger venue, and therefore parking isn’t an issue. Although parking was not an issue, it was disappointing that one of the most extravagant nights of the year was held in such a simple place, especially when other Edmond schools had nice venues. 

Following the rumors about the venue came mumblings about the theme. The theme was later confirmed to be “Kentucky Derby” meaning that ladies were supposed to wear elaborate hats and the men were to wear bowties. The “Kentucky Derby” theme was chosen because the horse that won the 148th Kentucky Derby in 2022 is from Edmond. 

While it had the potential to be an interesting theme if it had been held somewhere like Remington Park or a nice ballroom, it was difficult to execute on the football field. At the entrance of the stadium, EMHS had hired horse and jockey actors for photo opportunities and hung up Western-type decorations, but it barely made the theme feel like the derby.

These were the things that were confirmed prior to the event, so there was still a chance for the dance to be redeemed once it started. That hope was again squashed when I stepped on the dance floor. The DJ hired for the event seemed to be out of touch with the type of music students hoped for. Although I wasn’t at the dance for the entire three hours, the best song I heard the DJ play was “The Cupid Shuffle.”

However, the did include some fun elements as well. Under the bleachers where students entered the stadium, there were photo backdrops set up with photographers. There was a surplus of different types of foods including a table-long charcuterie board and a separate area of mini bundt cakes. They included several lawn games on the field, like Jenga, that kept students entertained beyond dancing.

Although there were several attempts to make the dance more fun, there wasn’t much that brought it back up to the students’ expectations. It was overall disappointing and left EMHS seniors with a bad taste in their mouths to end their high school experience.

Contact Macey Thaxton at [email protected]