The student news sites of Edmond Memorial High School.

Polls

This poll has ended.

Favorite cereal?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Homecoming was a hit

Homecoming 2023 Recap
Cooper Bortmess
Students came together to cheer the Bulldogs to victory

From the week of theme Dress-Up Days to the football game at the end of the week, Edmond Memorial High School homecoming is one of the most celebrated weeks during the fall semester. The opponent for Friday’s game was the Yukon Millers, and with Halloween night right around the corner, the chosen theme for this year’s homecoming was “Spook on Yukon.” To celebrate this spooky theme, the student council made lavender and orange shirts in the spirit of Halloween with the phrase “Text me when we beat Yukon.”

The annual homecoming parade kicked off all of the homecoming festivities. People lined up beside 15th Street and waited for all the floats to pass. Some notable features from the parade were the girls basketball float, the varsity and freshman football float and a performance by the marching band and many more. The girls basketball won the float contest by far, with their float being the only one with music and the most participation. 

Later that night was the Homecoming Night Assembly. Performances by the EMHS pom and cheer teams were featured at the assembly, as well as different entertaining challenges and events. Many students showed up to the parade and the night assembly in support of the football team. The night was wrapped up with an incredible fireworks show once the sun had set. 

Prior to the football game, the Homecoming Court was introduced at the assembly, which EMHS students voted on in the weeks leading up to the game. Seniors Alison Wright and Bennet Bickle were crowned homecoming queen and king on Friday before the game.

They are both well known around EMHS, particularly because of their involvement in student council and the production of Swine Week. Additionally, Wright is on the varsity pom squad, and Bickle is on the varsity football team. 

The football game was one of the most exciting of this year’s season. The tension from both of the teams going back and forth with the score left both sides on the edges of their seats. The Bulldogs left the field with a 42-28 win over the Millers. The students kept the game alive and entertaining throughout the whole three-hour long game, even though it was cold and raining. 

The student section was overflowing more than usual with most of the students wearing either the homecoming t-shirt or a Halloween costume. They were also chanting and celebrating to help encourage the win against Yukon. 

This week was a blast for all of the students and staff members. It provided everyone with a nice break from the normal scholastic routine to have fun and celebrate the school.

Contact Jordan Moore and Macey Thaxton at [email protected]