Favorite cereal?

2024 Super Bowl highlights

Injuries, fumbles, and offensive miscues created an entertaining Super Bowl.

The reigning 2023 Super Bowl winner, Kansas City Chiefs, played the number one seed, San Francisco 49ers, in the 2024 Super Bowl. This game had excitement and controversy surrounding it from Taylor Swift, the Chief’s controversial season and Brock Purdy’s incredible story.

The game started slowly as both defenses were nearly unbeatable, and the game remained scoreless for the entire first quarter. Both teams’ offenses had multiple fumbles, but the defense remained strong for both teams. Regardless, the 49ers had complete control over the Chiefs going into halftime through their running game with a score of 10-3. Purdy handed the ball off to wide receiver Jauan Jennings who completed a pass, providing the game’s first touchdown for the 49ers and a rare wide receiver touchdown throw. 49ers running back Christian McCaffery was a key player for their offense, bringing 80 rushing yards and the game’s first touchdown in 22 rushing plays by the end of the game.

As for the Chief’s offense, the first half was very rough. Frequent miscues from star quarterback Patrick Mahomes took a huge hit on the team’s mentality as the 49ers grabbed the lead. Fumbles and low snaps took a toll on the Chief’s offense while their defense stayed solid in the first half.

In the second quarter, Dre Greenlaw, a defensive leader for the 49ers, suffered an Achilles injury from the sideline. After jumping up and down to celebrate an offensive play made by his team, he landed on his foot wrong, sending him into the locker room for the rest of the game.

During halftime, Usher, along with Alicia Keys, H.E.R., Will.i.am, Lil Jon and Ludacris performed an upbeat show that even featured Usher on rollerskates. Popular songs, singers and rappers created an upbeat vibe for the slow-starting game.

The second half came out strong as the Chiefs fumbled on the first play of the half. Even after recovering the ball, Mahomes threw an interception at the end of their drive, handing the ball back to the 49ers. After the rest of the game, multiple points were scored by both teams, leaving the score tied 19-19 at the end of the second half, taking the game to overtime.

The 49ers had the first drive in overtime, settling for a field goal and hoping that the Chiefs would do worse in their drive. After a long drive, Mahomes found Mecole Hardman for the game-winning touchdown, taking his team to back-to-back Super Bowl wins.

The 58th Super Bowl was certainly different from previous years but still provided fans with an entertaining time. While his team may have had a rough start, Mahomes was able to come back in the second half and take the game along with the MVP title from the 49ers.

Contact Ian Humphreys at [email protected]

About the Contributor
Ian Humphreys
Ian Humphreys, Managing Editor
My name is Ian Humphreys and I am the managing editor this year! I took the intro class my sophomore year and was on staff last year. Outside of journalism, I am on the EMHS drumline and also marched DCI drumline this past summer. I love to skateboard and play frisbee golf as well.