From Fostering to Football coach

Miller Davis

Football coach Thomas Smith

Bridget Nye, Managing Editor

As the 2022-2023 school year starts at Edmond Memorial High School (EMHS), many new faces have been walking through the doors. Between the incoming freshman, transfer students, virtual students coming back and all of the new teachers who have joined the staff, it is going to be an exciting new year. One of the new educators who is excited to start the school year is football coach Thomas Smith. 

Smith joined EMHS co-teaching the tenth graders in a few different subjects. From reading to science, he is helpful for many classes. 

“I am usually working with sophomores here at Memorial,” Smith said. “I am in five co-taught classes, three English classes, one world history class and one biology class.”

As well as teaching, Smith has joined the football staff this year. Coaching the next generation of hard working athletes is one of his favorite parts of the day. 

“I am currently an assistant football coach here at Memorial,” Smith said. “Working with the youth is something I’ve always been passionate about. Mentoring students and athletes is a dream come true for me.”

This isn’t the first time Smith has picked up the ball. After graduating high school, he attended college to play the sport. 

“I graduated from Del City High School in Del City, Okla. in 2002,” Smith said. “I received a scholarship to attend Southern Nazarene University in Bethany, Okla. for Football and graduated with a Sociology degree in 2007.”

While this is Smith’s first year teaching at EMHS, this is not his first time working with teens and athletes. He has worked as a case worker for the Department of Human Services and has been a Crossfit coach helping trainees reach their goals. 

“Prior to coming to Memorial, I was a foster care and adoption worker for The Oklahoma Department of Human Services for 12 years,” Smith said. “My job was to assess, train and approve foster homes. I’m also a Crossfit Coach at Crossfit OKC in Edmond, Okla, I have coached crossfit for the last eight years.”

When he’s not in the classroom or on the field, Smith enjoys spending time with his family and traveling to new places. 

“Outside of school I enjoy playing outdoor soccer, playing with my children, going to movies and vacationing,” Smith said. 

With the new year in full swing, Memorial will need all the help it can come by. Luckly, Smith is here to assist in more ways than one.

Contact Bridget Nye at [email protected]