Favorite cereal?

Spotlights and Skylines

Broadway Imagined
Clinics, performances and new opportunities for performing arts students showed off New York City.

New York City is widely known for many sightseeing attractions including the musical capital Broadway and the shows it produces. Traditional stage acting and musicals as performed on Broadway have made their way into public school districts through a rise in popularity of the performing arts. Edmond Memorial High School’s performing arts staff set up a school trip to New York City to see live performances on Broadway over spring break. This optional trip was an opportunity for students to see more of the United States while attaining more cultural and musical experiences.

“Our trip to New York was amazing; we had 86 students that were able to experience New York on this trip along with 28 parent chaperones,” choir teacher Majorie Green said. “New York is a wonderful trip to take students who are participating in fine arts and who are looking to further their career in the performing arts.”

To further enhance the student’s musical education and experience, the group planned and watched four Broadway musical performances throughout the trip. Shows including “Spamalot,” “The Notebook,” “Back to the Future” and “Sweeny Todd,” brought not only a rare experience to the students but an educational experience.

“Seeing Broadway shows and an original Broadway cast is something I will never forget,” senior Annabelle Piper said. “I wasn’t expecting to be so moved by ‘The Notebook,’ but it really moved me in the best way emotionally.”

The group was able to immerse themselves in the live music through a clinic with some of the current Broadway actors. Learning some of the choreography from “Spamalot” allowed EMHS’s performing arts students to learn about their activity at a professional level and also meet people performing at this level and ask them questions concerning their careers.

“We got to do a clinic with some Broadway actors which was a great opportunity,” senior Nathaniel Stephens said. “I got way more experience here than I expected, so it was definitely a surprise to me how much we could get done in three days.

New York is also well known for the city’s sightseeing and national landmarks. Students were able to explore and experience things that have been mentioned throughout their lives. EMHS was able to provide these students with a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Travel of any kind is of great value to an individual on an airplane, navigating unfamiliar city streets, the subway [and] learning how to be responsible for money and a schedule,” Green said. “There are vast amounts of education that come with school trips. The trip to New York for these students will be a lifetime memory.”

Education in music, performance and even life not only leads to an amazing experience but a memory to set students up for their future. This trip shows the students what their future could look like and what new opportunities they have.

Contact Ian Humphreys at [email protected]

About the Contributor
Ian Humphreys
Ian Humphreys, Managing Editor
My name is Ian Humphreys and I am the managing editor this year! I took the intro class my sophomore year and was on staff last year. Outside of journalism, I am on the EMHS drumline and also marched DCI drumline this past summer. I love to skateboard and play frisbee golf as well.