Upcoming at EMHS
  • Senior Sunset 5/16
  • Graduation 5/17
The student news sites of Edmond Memorial High School.

Polls

This poll has ended.

Who wins: Kendrick Lamar or Drake?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

The eloquent EDIEE Awards

• The Edmond Public Schools Foundation recently hosted the EDIEE Awards, which honored the EPS Teacher of the Year among other things.

On Tuesday, April 16, the celebration of Educators and Donors providing Innovative Education in Edmond, more formally known as the EDIEE Awards, took place at the stunning Aspen Ranch. This dazzling affair wowed many; with features ranging from the elegant red carpet entrance to the numerous auction items, there was plenty to celebrate. 

The EDIEE Awards focus on bringing recognition to the teachers and volunteers in the community. With it being the event’s 40th anniversary, they definitely went all out when making their guests feel like royalty. As guests arrived at the luxurious destination, they were welcomed with the opportunity to walk the red carpet. As their bags were held and photos were taken, the environment made it easy to say “cheese” to the camera. 

After the walk down the red carpet road, people were greeted by the Edmond Public Schools Foundation Student Ambassadors and the three Edmond high schools’ mascots. As they continued into the building, guests were met with gleaming tables and remarkable chandeliers that hung from the ceiling. The tables were set with lanterns, and some honorable sponsors were given complimentary Simple Modern cups with their names on them. The decor and atmosphere made attendees feel welcomed and important. 

One thing that was most prominent throughout the evening was the silent auction. The event offered items such as a Rosemary Beach getaway, a $500 Hideaway gift card and perhaps the most adorable item: a mini goldendoodle puppy. These items and many more worked to raise money and provide entertainment for guests.

In addition to the excitement of the auction items, the performances present throughout the night kept audiences on their feet. Performances from Edmond North’s orchestra serenaded guests as they moved to their seats. Santa Fe’s Performing Arts also got on stage to execute a flash performance of West Side Story. Additionally, Edmond Memorial’s show choir, Act II, sang a beautiful collection of acapella songs. The entertainment was enough to make the crowd excited for all the awards that were yet to come. 

Another way students contributed to the event was through the food provided. Crafted by Edmond school’s very own culinary students it definitely made attendees feel like family. Student Ambassadors were also heavily involved in the majority of the announcements and speeches throughout the night. These kids practiced numerous times within the weeks in advance to perfectly execute their lines. 

The main idea of the event is not only to provide teachers and volunteers with a fun night out but to recognize those who have made it their mission to uplift the community. Some of the people who were recognized for their efforts were Volunteer of the Year Jan Harris, Rookie of the Year Emily Murawsky, Support Personnel of the Year Jessica Duncan and Teacher Of the Year Jennifer VanHuss. All these guests and many others were acknowledged for their tremendous impact on Edmond. 

Lots of love, time and hands went into making the awards go as smoothly and fun as they did. Those efforts were not done in vain. The EDIEE Awards mean a great deal to the people of the Edmond community, providing appreciation and fellowship to guests. This sensational event has already left many wondering how it can possibly be outdone next year. 

Contact Abby Evans at [email protected]

About the Contributor
Abby Evans
Abby Evans, Contributing Writer

Hi guys! My name is Abby Evans, I am a junior, and happy to be a first year contributing writer for the Ruff Draft! Outside of school I am a Student Ambassador for the Edmond Public Schools Foundation. In doing this it has allowed me to grow closer to my peers, as well as learn about our Edmond community! Additionally, I enjoy reading and exploring nature! I can’t wait to see what the Ruff Draft will accomplish!