The Halloween dilemma

Trick-or-treating+can+lead+to+a+spook-tacular+Halloween.+

Trick-or-treating can lead to a spook-tacular Halloween.

Bridget Nye, Managing Editor

As the season begins to change and the winds pick up, Halloween decorations and pumpkins can be seen popping up all around. During this time, one will also hear trick-or-treaters starting to discuss their costumes. With children preparing for the annual holiday of candy and sweets, every year the conversation arises: how old is too old to be trick or treating? This question is something parents ponder as their children grow older. 

Some teens go trick-or-treating every single year and don’t focus on if they are aging out of this popular Halloween tradition. But unfortunately, there are some people who try to ruin the fun. They say to go home and that the teenagers are too old to show up at their door. 

One of the reasons why teens still dress up for the occasion is because they are trying to continue old traditions. Some are scared of growing up and the unknown challenges that they will face, so they continue a bit of their childhood with good, innocent fun. Adolescence is fleeting, and they are trying to hold on to it as long as they can. With this being my last year of high school, is it so horrible if I want to participate in this one last time?

The next reason why it should be socially accepted that teens enjoy trick-or-treating is that it’s a chance to bond with their family. Sometimes teenagers don’t want to spend their free time with their younger siblings, but tradition can bring the child back out of anyone. When everyone is partaking in a common interest, it can bring back happy memories from earlier times. For one night under the moon, the whole gang can act like they did when they were younger.

Another reason why teenagers shouldn’t be judged for celebrating Halloween is there are worse things they could be doing. If they are collecting chocolate bars, they are not out with the wrong crowd. It can be easy to be swept up into peer pressure when one is a teen, so if they are in a familiar situation, it is less likely they will make a decision that they would regret later on. Besides, they could be doing a lot worse than filling up a bucket with candy. 

Teenagers aren’t hurting anyone by putting on a mask and walking around their block. They just don’t want the good times to end. There shouldn’t be an age limit on trick-or-treating because there is plenty of candy to go around. When passing treats out on Halloween, don’t be so quick to judge the older kids who come to the door. 

Contact Bridget Nye at [email protected]