Baseball has rounded the bases

Baseball season has come to and end, heres a recap.

Baseball season has come to and end, here’s a recap.

Lathan Pearce, Staff Writer

Edmond Memorial High School’s (EMHS) varsity baseball team’s season has come to a close. It was a battle all season, but even though it’s over they’re still looking to find opponents to practice against to prepare for next year. 

“We lost a lot of big-name guys since they’ve gone on to college, but that was never an excuse [this season],” varsity head coach JP Holman said.

Despite losing many key players from their last season, the EMHS baseball team has been moving along. They have adapted to this, with a few losses at the beginning of the year. Thanks to the upperclassmen who took the younger players under their wings, the team has bounced back, winning more games throughout the season.

“We’ve had to show the young guys the culture, which helped us overcome some adversity,” varsity catcher Brock Coleman said.

Holman is proud of how the team has conducted themselves throughout the season, not letting the beginning losses deter them. They showed off a large amount of resilience in the season and is a massive part of their bounce back. He is even more impressed by the way they have bounced back with wins, such as, an away game against Stillwater after a somewhat rough start.  

“I’m just proud of this team; it has been an absolute joy to coach these guys,” Holman said.

Holman finds coaching to be a rewarding experience, something that he looks forward to every day because it is when he is able to see the players’ hard work in action. With the resilience they show every day, practice is a special time for Holman and something that he looks forward to throughout the morning.

“Going to the ballpark every day is one of the best parts of my day,” Holman said.

Junior varsity (JV) also had a great season. They had some big wins and have had time to celebrate with one another, which has allowed the JV team to go from near strangers to a heavily bonded unit. 

“It was a lot of fun celebrating with the team after wins,” JV catcher Drew Scott said.

The baseball team had a spectacular season where they grew a lot as a team. Next year they should be primed to go out and compete at a high level.

Contact Lathan Pearce at [email protected]