Favorite cereal?

The co(elective)

Six new elective teachers have come to Memorial to join the bulldog family.

Electives are a key element of the high school experience because they allow students to explore possible career paths and can create a fun experience for everyone in the school, whether it is gaming, cooking or more, these Edmond Memorial high school students have interests covered, Some of these new teachers are offering lots of new classes for EMHS students.

🎮 David Milligan – Game on

With previous esports head coach, Kate Swearingen, leaving Memorial, a spot was needed to be filled for the e-sports team to keep performing well in tournaments. Luckily, David Milligan was able to take over the program. Milligan, who is also the multimedia teacher and e-sports coach at Central Middle School, believes that the basic teaching method is about how the students learn rather than showing the material.

“So many people think that learning just means ‘memorizing facts to pass the test,’ but I think that true learning comes when you see how a piece of information fits into what you’ve already experienced in life,” Milligan said.

💪 Larry Brown – Pushing to the limits

Larry Brown grew up in Shelbyville, Indiana and traveled to Oklahoma, graduating from Oklahoma Christian University in 2014. Before heading to EMHS, Brown went to Midland, Texas teaching and coaching students and moved back to Oklahoma two days after his schooling ended.

Brown joined the Bulldog family this year as the new strength and conditioning teacher. Which aims to make athletes bigger, stronger and faster by correcting techniques and helping them become physically ready for the demands that sports require. 

“I’ve been working in schools for the past eight years,” Brown said. “I knew I always wanted to be around sports. Growing up I don’t think I would have thought about teaching.” 

💼 Stephen Fleming – Taking care of business 

One of the new electives this year is a business class taught by Stephen Fleming. He graduated from Elko, Nevada, and received his Bachelor’s in Business Administration at UCO and his master’s at OCU. Prior to coming to EMHS, Fleming was managing his family’s medical practice. 

“I did plan to be a university professor when I retired, but this was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up and I’m glad I didn’t,” Fleming said. 

If anyone wants to expand their knowledge on finances and business law, Fleming’s class is the perfect option for them.

🏫 Grant Hill – Living out a dream

A name that might be familiar is Grant Hill. Hill is currently a football coach at EMHS and a teacher at Central Middle School. After already being involved, Hill filled the position of student council advisor, alongside Elenna Dobbs.

He has always dreamed of becoming the StuCo advisor because he grew up being part of the student council himself.

“It’s been a dream of mine to come back and eventually teach here, coach here and then be the StuCo sponsor,” Hill said. “It’s been perfect being close to an internship under Dobbs right now. It’s been tons of fun so far.”

Hill has always had a passion for teaching and coaching, but now with his new role at Memorial as a Stucco advisor, his childhood dreams have come true. 

🎤 Marjorie Green – Singing to the crowds

Majorie Green is Memorial’s new assistant vocal director this year. Working alongside Wes Singleton, Green was welcomed here with many open hearts. With 13 years of experience in teaching, she believes that the choir program must have quality relationships in order to be successful.

“Memorial has a tradition of an incredible vocal music program,” Green said. “So I want to make good connections with students, give them a place where they feel connected in their school, give them a good choir experience and give them a little bit of joy each day,” 

With the school year just starting, Green is looking forward to every day with the choir.

🎺 Tanner Morgan – Take on the marching field

Many people take pride in their passions. One of these people is the new band director, Tanner Morgan. Morgan finds teaching band students a rewarding experience because it allows them to expand on their knowledge and friends.

“The school has a standard of excellence, and the band program has a standard of excellence and I want to see that standard be fulfilled,” Morgan said, “I’m looking forward to seeing my band students have a transformative learning experience and foster an attitude that encourages positivity and enjoyment for playing their instruments.” 

Morgan is excited to be part of the band and proud to be making it into something incredible.

🍪 Kristen Ellis – Making delicious treats

After previously being the Culinary Arts teacher at CMS, Kisten Ellis is excited to be part of the culinary program at Memorial. 

“I look forward to just building on the foundation that’s already been laid and allowing culinary students to become a part of what happens here,” Ellis said. “For example, we’ll make lunch four times a year for teachers, or we will be looking for ways that students can participate in what’s already happening at Memorial.”

Ellis will continue to make the program grow by helping throughout the school and within the Edmond community. 

With all these new elective teachers, it opens up wide opportunities for students. It may be starting a new sport or singing in the choir, there is an activity for everyone. Even with the school year just starting, there are already many new teachers that want to create a lasting impact on the school.

Contact Ryder Richardson and Anna Vitiello at [email protected] 

About the Contributors
Ryder Richardson
Ryder Richardson, Staff Writer
My name is Ryder Richardson and I am a Senior at Memorial. I am a 4th year on staff for the Ruff Draft. I mostly write about video games and movies since it's what I am most passionate about writing. I have a cat and dog named Egg and Peritas respectively. I am looking forward to my last year at Edmond Memorial.
Anna Vitiello
Anna Vitiello, Staff Writer
Hey, my name is Anna Vitiello. I'm a sophomore, and this is my first year writing for staff. Outside of Journalism, I play baritone and trombone in the EMHS band, along with the sophomore representative for Key Club. I am very excited to be part of the Ruff Draft, and can't wait to continue for years to come!