The student news sites of Edmond Memorial High School.

Polls

This poll has ended.

Favorite cereal?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Welcoming the new science teachers to EMHS

Five+new+science+teachers+join+the+EMHS+team.+
Photos provided
Five new science teachers join the EMHS team.

Edmond Memorial High School welcomes new teachers every year and this school year is no different. These new science teachers are all looking forward to experiencing what it is like at EMHS.

🩺 Bailey White – Health Teacher 

Bailey White is one of the health teachers and the assistant coach for Lady Bulldog basketball and softball

On top of her teaching and coaching, White is also going to school to obtain her master’s degree. White is looking forward to many of the school events, but one that really stuck out to White is Swine Week.

“I’m definitely looking forward to Swine Week,” White said. “I have heard so many stories about how fun and exciting Swine Week is from students, faculty and other community members.” 

🧑‍🔬 LaDarynn Lockett – Physical Science 

LaDaryn Lockett is one of the physical science teachers and wrestling assistant coach for EMHS. Lockett, an EMHS alum, joined because he was recommended for this job by a past teacher. 

“I was recommended for these positions by a former teacher of mine, Mrs. Christine Custred,” Lockett said. “I accepted it because I have always had a curiosity about teaching and coaching but wasn’t sure in my life I would want to do that. I am fortunate to have accepted the chance to teach here at Edmond Memorial High School,”

🔬 Elijah Corella – Physical Science 

Elijah Corella has been teaching for nine years and is currently teaching physical science at EMHS. But, before becoming a teacher he worked as an archaeologist until he found his passion for teaching while working at a weekend camp. 

“I did archaeology for a year, basically digging up artifacts,” Corella said. “We were digging things that were over a thousand years old, like Native American and early pioneer artifacts,” 

Corella thinks the best thing about EMHS is the school spirit, which is hard to find anywhere else.

⚗️ Daniel Halbur – Chemistry 

Daniel Halbur teaches chemistry and has been teaching for over 30 years. His inspiration for teaching was answering the question ‘Why?’ Even though he is a chemistry teacher right now, his first credential is in math because it was easier to achieve, but science was more exciting. His favorite thing about EMHS are the students, who he described as polite, attentive, delightful and hard-working. 

“I was at Foothill High School for 29 years, but before that, I was in the Navy and later the Reserves,” Halbur said “In both of those jobs, I taught,” 

🧪 Chad Stansberry – Physical Science 

Chad Stansberry is currently teaching physical science. His favorite thing about EMHS so far is the traditions, and he is looking forward to experiencing all of them. He began teaching 15 years ago because science was the subject that interested him the most growing up. 

“[I became a science teacher] for a chance to impact students and make science a fun and safe experience,” Stansberry said. 

These new teachers all come from different backgrounds and experiences, but they are coming together at EMHS to provide high quality education for all students and set an example for future years.

Contact Jordan Moore and Noelia Ocampo at [email protected]

About the Contributors
Jordan Moore
Jordan Moore, Staff Writer
Hey there! My name is Jordan Moore, I’m a sophomore here at Memorial. This will be my first year on staff, the intro class was so fun! Outside of school, I work at a pizza parlor, and work on our property. Fun fact about me is that I have 10 other siblings, and they’re all boys! I love reading, and the outdoors. I hope this year is amazing, and I will continue to write for the Ruff Draft for many years to come!
Noelia Ocampo
Noelia Ocampo, Staff Writer
Hello! My name is Noelia Ocampo. I’m a sophomore at Memorial and this is my first year writing on staff. I joined intro during my freshman year and ended up staying because of how much I liked it. I enjoy anything related to science and history and I also like to garden and make bracelets during my free time.