The student news sites of Edmond Memorial High School.

Polls

This poll has ended.

Favorite cereal?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

“Baby Gravy 3” is every mom’s favorite album

Yung Gravy and bbno$ creating another album for the moms of the world.

Minnesota rapper Matthew “Yung Gravy” Hauri and Canadian rapper Alexander “bbno$” Gumuchian have added to their collection of collaborative albums with “Baby Gravy 3,” completing the trilogy with 12 new songs. 

The album was released on Aug. 25, but some of the songs in this album were released as far back as last year. Gravy and bbno$ brought their comedic rapping style along with their rapper friends Freddie Dredd and Rich Brian to bring a masterpiece with heaps of inside jokes.

On the album’s release day, Gravy and bbno$ released their “No Way Jose” music video with over 1.5 million plays on Spotify. Five out of the 12 songs on the album are songs that were released before it came out, with “C’est La Vie” being the most popular song with over 60 million plays. Besides “No Way Jose,” none of the new songs in the album have cracked over a million plays on Spotify. 

Some of my favorite songs from the album, such as “Super Smash Bros,” and “Swiper No Swiping” deserve a listen, but many young people find their songs on TikTok or Instagram instead of listening to entire albums. This new way of receiving new music has been destroying some smaller rappers’ plays, such as Gravy and bbno$, along with many other artists. 

Their style of music is often jarring to new listeners since it is not like other popular hip-hop artists like Drake or The Weeknd. Gravy is a mix of hip hop, funk and modern trap while bbno$ is known on the internet for his oxymoronic rap, only listening to dubstep and house music when growing up. Together, Gravy and bbno$ writing creates an unusual, hilarious and unique sound that tends to only attract specific people.

The album has the classic feeling of a Gravy and bbno$ duo that is magical, but it’s not for everyone. People on Reddit have been saying that it’s overrated and disappointing and that the artists haven’t produced a single track worth listening to since 2019. But as people evolve, music and music style evolve too. Gravy and bbno$ have been producing tracks since 2016 and they have learned more about how the music industry works and what kind of music they want to produce. “Baby Gravy 3” still is an album that has that spice that allows Gravy and bbno$ to have fun with it.

All of bbno$ and Gravy’s albums follow a similar formula, making them unique and a masterpiece to their fans. This album is a hilarious mess of songs that Gravy and bbno$ created together and have become successful rappers because of it. For many of Gravy and bbno$’s hardcore fans, this album is, as said in “Nightmare on Peachtree Street,” a one hundred percent certified slapper.

Contact Ryder Richardson at [email protected]

About the Contributor
Ryder Richardson
Ryder Richardson, Staff Writer
My name is Ryder Richardson and I am a Senior at Memorial. I am a 4th year on staff for the Ruff Draft. I mostly write about video games and movies since it's what I am most passionate about writing. I have a cat and dog named Egg and Peritas respectively. I am looking forward to my last year at Edmond Memorial.