Favorite cereal?

All City went swimmingly for Memorial

EMHS+swim+team+puts+forth+its+all+at+All+City.+
Jacie Scott
EMHS swim team puts forth its all at All City.

The Edmond Memorial High School swim team has been offering all they have, and it has been rewarding. Putting forth its best effort at practices and meets, cooperating as a team and learning from each other has led up to a great season. 

This past meet on Jan. 20, was swim’s All City meet, where all three Edmond High Schools gathered and had one last swim meet before regionals and state. The meet went smoothly for EMHS, with both boys and girls teams placing in the top five out of 13 total schools. EMHS scored 629 for the girls, and 620 for the boys. North scored 485 and 554, and with Santa Fe scoring 216 and 302. 

All the dedication has provided the team the opportunity to be successful, not only did the team members place strong but each meet is a learning experience and leads to future improvements. 

“The All City meet is the night we honor the seniors and involves only the three Edmond High Schools,”  EMHS swim coach Sandy Love said. “The swimmers have fun while still competing.”

Practicing skills and different techniques is an vital part of doing well at a sport, but sticking together as a team and supporting one another is just as important. 

“Our biggest strength is team culture,” EMHS boys swim captain Andrew Burgess said. “We all worked well together to achieve high-level point finishes with one of the smallest teams in 6A.”

Stepping up for the team and doing what is necessary for the best outcome is principal to any sport, but even more crucial for meets as major as All City. Sometimes the unexpected happens, and team members need to be ready to adapt.

“All City went very well for the boys team, and even though our backstroker for the Medley relay was gone, freshman Daniel Snyder stepped up and performed for our relay in his place,” Burgess said. 

True dedication from all team members is an essential part of any sport, especially when it comes to sports with smaller teams. For EMHS, the boys team only had five members participate in this meet, and the girls team only had ten, meaning everyone must remain dedicated at all times in order for the team to succeed. 

“Overall the team has been doing really well. The team as a whole has improved drastically since last season,” EMHS girls swim captain Addison Dry said. “What allowed the team to perform better is working hard during practice and really becoming a team.”

Memorial’s swim team has provided its all not only into the sport itself but also in supporting teammates and lifting each other up. The All City swim meet was a success with the girls team remaining undefeated and the boys team placing fifth. Swim will now go on to regionals and state, where EMHS will compete against North for the regional title. 

Contact Emma Eischeid at [email protected]

About the Contributor
Emma Eischeid
Emma Eischeid, Staff Writer

Hi, my name is Emma Eischeid and I am a junior. This is my second full year writing for the Ruff Draft staff as a staff member. I joined the newspaper as a freshman because I wanted to try something new and I'm so glad I did. My favorite articles to write are either news or features. In my free time, I love to drive my Jeep, go fishing, and spend time outdoors.