Favorite cereal?

The upgrade of “Percy Jackson and the Olympians”

The+new+Percy+Jackson+TV+show+is+receiving+great+ratings.+
The new Percy Jackson TV show is receiving great ratings.

The highly anticipated Percy Jackson TV series has many fans buzzing with excitement over Rick Riordan’s book saga, “Percy Jackson and the Olympians.” Turning the words on the page into a visual spectacle, the blend of adventure, mythology and compelling characters leaves the book lovers with a sense of satisfaction.

While living a not-so-ordinary life, Percy Jackson, played by Walker Scobell, was introduced to the demigod world. There he encounters many gods and monsters, along with taking on many unusual and exciting experiences. He will learn to live with the new life and how to save others in the process.

Through his troubling life, Percy must discover his father, who is a Greek god and claims Jackson as a demigod. With the factor of Zeus’s stolen master bolt, a lightning bolt that holds great power, Jackson goes through many obstacles. These challenges create an amazing plot and storyline that can be viewed by all ages.

The original movie and first part of the series, “Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief,” aired in 2010. The movie received poor reviews from critics, receiving only a 49%  rating from Rotten Tomatoes. This made reviewers think it would have more success as a TV show instead. With the way it is set up as a TV show, the success rates have already increased and there is no doubt that it is better as a show.

One factor that left fans disappointed with the movie was the deviation between the movie and the book series. Many complained that the film did not stay true to the original writing, which is one of the reasons why the production team believed it would be more successful as a television show because there is more time and details added in each episode.

To fix the poor reviews, the producers invited Riordan, the author, to work with them on the show. He was heavily involved in the direction of the script writing and cast decisions.

With only the first season, eight episodes and replication of the first book in the series, it has already received an impressive 92% from Rotten Tomatoes. Thanks to the great music choices, improved plot line and great actors. Book fans have even appreciated the new approach of the shows with the series that correlated with the book better. 

Something that the creators decided to change to make the plots more pleasing was the casting. They decided to cast people who act like the roles they would be playing. This made the production and cast come to life and added more to the story by creating a real-life feeling.

Throughout the United States, where the Percy Jackson series takes place, there is a special effect of fog that keeps the mythological world separate from regular human beings. The adventurous scenes can take watchers on an out-of-this-world adventure. There are key aspects that have taken the set of books to the production world to another level of storytelling.

It has already been announced that the second season will be released within the next two years. The new Percy Jackson TV series offers a new dynamic and immersive experience, bringing the beloved demigod saga to life. With the mix of humor, turmoil and adventure, every episode contributes to the customs of Jackson’s journey. 

Contact Anna Vitiello at [email protected]

About the Contributor
Anna Vitiello
Anna Vitiello, Staff Writer
Hey, my name is Anna Vitiello. I'm a sophomore, and this is my first year writing for staff. Outside of Journalism, I play baritone and trombone in the EMHS band, along with the sophomore representative for Key Club. I am very excited to be part of the Ruff Draft, and can't wait to continue for years to come!