Favorite cereal?

A virtual frenzy

For some, a chilly day means accessorizing with a coat or turning on the seat warmers in the car, but for others, this is not the case. The luxury of driving to school in a warm car is something that many take for granted. Throughout the nation people rely on various forms of transportation in order to make it to school. Within grades K-12 about 49.5 million students throughout the nation use the bus as transportation to school each day. While those frigid days might seem like a small annoyance, to bus riders it is a major burden, which poses the question: should school districts move to virtual days even when the temperature is above freezing? Students already face enough as it is, from their workload, to home life, standing outside in the cold weather should not be another thing to add to their plates. 

There are many requirements that must be met in Edmond in order for schools to move to a virtual day. In order for school to be canceled the district superintendent must make a decision at around 5 a.m. Canceling school requires that the temperature is 10 degrees or below, or the wind chill is 5 degrees or below.  

These qualifications are rarely met. However, that does not mean that cold days are not uncommon. Oklahoma is known to have cold winters. The high temperatures are usually within the 40s and 50s, however, the temperature can drastically drop to the 20s and 30s overnight. 

Although these temperatures are mostly bearable for some, standing outside in them can be detrimental to kids’ focus in the classroom overtime. “Even one quick exposure to the cold can impair attention, speed of processing, memory and executive function…” The National Library of Medicine said in a Deseret News article.

This means that after standing out in the cold, students might not obtain their learning to the full extent. Some of them don’t have a choice but to ride the bus. Just because they have to use alternative means of transportation doesn’t mean they are not entitled to receive the most out of their school day.

Many have said that if the school district switched to virtual more frequently, students might not do their work. Being at home can make it difficult for kids to stay focused, however, it is also a requirement that teachers don’t make virtual work due that same day. So, if a student cannot accomplish a task, they will still have extra time to submit that work, if not in the classroom, maybe another time outside of school.  

Another recurring reason as to not implement virtual days more is the supposed lack of childcare. Nevertheless, if a child is old enough to ride the bus alone, they are most likely mature enough to stay home alone. Additionally, childcare services do not close due to cold weather, therefore, being another place for a child to stay and do virtual work.

There are many different elements to consider when deciding whether or not to instigate virtual learning, but at the end of the day it is what’s best for the children.

Contact Abby Evans at [email protected]

About the Contributor
Abby Evans
Abby Evans, Contributing Writer

Hi guys! My name is Abby Evans, I am a junior, and happy to be a first year contributing writer for the Ruff Draft! Outside of school I am a Student Ambassador for the Edmond Public Schools Foundation. In doing this it has allowed me to grow closer to my peers, as well as learn about our Edmond community! Additionally, I enjoy reading and exploring nature! I can’t wait to see what the Ruff Draft will accomplish!