Favorite cereal?

Swine spectacular: A kids’ carnival dream

Cooper Bortmess
The Swine Week carnival brought smiles to kids faces with a fun-filled day of games.

Edmond Memorial High School’s annual Swine Week is rapidly approaching meaning the many fundraising events that lead up to the week have begun. One in particular being the much loved Swine Week Carnival. In this widely recognized and fun event, many kids and parents can enjoy all the activities provided while also raising money for Swine Week.

This year’s carnival was one of many events raising money for the initial funding of Swine Week, an event for the kids to enjoy. The carnival included different traditional carnival games inside the gym foyer and gym, along with a food truck outside for any guest that might be hungry from all the fun. 

“There was a Bondi Bowls food truck which was nice and yummy and provided another alternative to all the sweet treats selling at the event,” sophomore and StuCo Decoration Chair Sophie Scott said. 

A part of the carnival scene was the 3-point-shot game where if a person made a 3-point-shot they received a live goldfish as a prize. This game specifically gained significant traction with how many participants there were. Its attraction was aimed at older kids since it was a challenging game and the prize was a gift for them to take home and take care of but others did also participate for a chance to win. 

“I think that the 3-point-shot was most fun because of the prize,” Scott said. “It was kind of like an old-timey thing that they do at real carnivals where you win an actual fish.”

Other activities that had guests enthralled were the many different prize games that were available to play. The prizes ranged from “Piggie Pastries” to a choice of candy. The tattoo stations also gained attraction, capturing the attention of any kid wanting to decorate their hand with a temporary tattoo. 

[My daughter’s] favorite activities were the tattoo station and the ring toss game inside the gym,” freshman English teacher Tara Kelley said. “My daughter had a lot of fun.” 

With the rather positive outcome of the carnival, it was said that involvement was higher than the previous years and had more traction among the younger crowd. The majority of the population at the carnival being elementary students, with other age groups dabbling in.

“It was amazing to see our school and community working together to make a fun day for kids and support Swine Week,” junior Cooper Bortmess said. 

With the turnout of this year’s Swine Week carnival, it has garnered attention from many parents as a way for the kids to burn off their energy and enjoy themselves while also contributing to the charity of Swine Week.

Contact Jordan Graham at [email protected]

About the Contributor
Jordan Graham
Jordan Graham, Co-Editor-in-Chief
Hello! I am Jordan Graham and a senior here at memorial. I am currently one of the Co-Editors and a fourth year journalist for Ruff Draft! Outside of school, I am an Eagle scout and have a love for drawing and all things art. I’m excited for my last year in Newspaper and look forward to this amazing year.