The student news sites of Edmond Memorial High School.

Polls

This poll has ended.

Favorite cereal?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Going back in Swine with decorations

• EMHS students celebrate Swine Week by decorating the hallways from floor to ceiling.

Swine Week’s decorations have started strong and have lived up to expectations. Streamers and banners hang from every corner of the school and hallways are covered with all sorts of unique and eye-catching accessories. This year’s theme, Back in Swine has a variety of decorations. Going back to the Ice Age to the 2000s, the decorations do not disappoint. While most of the school is decorated, there are a top three.

1. Upper commons

Coming in at No.3, the upper commons includes many strings of CDs giving it a retro vibe to the overall space. Many of the pillars are covered in glitter and contribute to the bright, colorful atmosphere. The painted time machine and hypnosis swirls were a nice touch and the colors were an excellent way to bring attention. Overall the space felt fulfilled.

1. Stairway to prehistoric times

The lesser-known stairway to the Jurassic era by the Spanish classrooms is No. 2 in terms of decorating. The staircase is decorated with dinosaurs and volcanoes.The volcano is located in the corner and “lava” and “ashes” spill from the volcano. The t-rex towers and leans over the doorway, an entertaining decoration. As well as the visual decorations, the room is even warmer than the rest of the school thanks to the addition of a heater, adding to the experience. The Jurassic decorations lead straight to the Ice Age, where decorations with mammoths and icebergs are shown. This hallway is an excellent way to show that Back In Swine decorations could vary and are not the typical expected decades like the ‘80s, ‘90s, or 2000s.

1. Blacklight hallway

The well-known Blacklight hallway is always a favorite. Taking No. 1 as the best decoration of Swine Week 2024. The hallway is lit with UV lights, and those wearing white or brighter colors will glow. This hallway is a great way for freshmen to experience the Swine Week decorations while still being close to the Freshman Academy to walk to their next class. The hallway can have people excited for the techno assembly and is a popular place to take pictures. The Blacklight hallway stands out with its attention-seeking colors and words written all along the walls.

Honorable mention

Honorable mention would be the Freshman Academy; the overhead includes streamers of all colors is hung from the balcony. The Freshmen Academy features a “Peabody and Sherman” theme, with many banners showing the characters with pig noses. The theme is highly liked by many and is a perfect fit for freshmen because it gives more of a younger vibe.

This year’s decorations knock it out of the park, and the theme is an ideal fit. The eras and decades are a brilliant way to show color and capture the eyes of many. In general, with just two days to decorate, Student Council, Royalty and other contributors did an amazing job, especially considering how most decorators stayed overnight. Hopefully, the mural on Friday will live up to the legacy of the rest of the decorations this year. Overall, this year’s

theme could not be more perfect.

Contact Grian Foley at [email protected]

About the Contributors
Grian Foley
Grian Foley, Contributing Writer
Hi! My name is Grian Foley and I am a freshman this year. I enjoy watching movies, going ice skating and listening to Taylor Swift. I am looking forward to many more years at Ruff Draft and can't wait to continue writing!
Macey Thaxton
Macey Thaxton, Co-Editor-in-Chief
Hi there! My name is Macey Thaxton, I’m a senior this year and I’m proud to be one of the Co-Editors-in-Chief for the Ruff Draft! This is my fourth year writing for the newspaper and I’ve loved every moment of it. Outside of school, I’m an 11th-year Girl Scout and a barista at a local coffee shop. I also enjoy reading, writing and traveling in my free time. I’m so excited to write for the Ruff Draft one last time!