The student news sites of Edmond Memorial High School.

Polls

This poll has ended.

Favorite cereal?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Olivia Rodrigo spilled new songs

Olivia Rodrigo spills her guts in new deluxe version of her album “GUTS.”

Olivia Rodrigo has been gaining more attention recently with the kick-start of her GUTS world tour and the release of her new songs on March 22. She has put them on an album called “GUTS (spilled),” which is her original GUTS album but with five additional songs.

Rodrigo announced the release of “GUTS (spilled)” at the United Center in Chicago on March 19 by unfolding a sign on stage that said “Guts Deluxe Out Friday,” which sent the crowd into excited cheers. She also had her backup dancers hold up signs with the names of all her new songs: “Obsessed,” “Girl I’ve Always Been,” “Scared of My Guitar,” “Stranger” and “So American.”

The song “Obsessed” has a different feeling than her other new songs. It is unlike any song I have heard from her. It is not slow, but it is also not super edgy. It is upbeat, fast-paced and very catchy. It is about how Rodrigo is insecure in her relationship. People knew about this song before she officially released it because she would play it at her concerts. She also put this song on the end of her vinyl record without listing it on the back.

One song that surprised me when I first heard it was “Girl I’ve Always Been.” It has a very different vibe from every other song that I have heard by her. It kind of has a small-town country/folklore feel to it. At first, I did not like it, but the more I listened to it, the more it grew on me. It just takes time to become accustomed to her new style of music.

When I heard “Scared of My Guitar” I immediately knew it was gonna be one of my favorites. Rodrigo talks about how she becomes vulnerable when she is making her music because she lets all of her emotions out. It is a slower song, but I think it is one of her best, more serious songs.

“Stranger” is yet another break-up song which was not surprising to me. This one has very catchy lyrics, and I keep catching myself singing it throughout the day. “Stranger” is about how she is better off without her ex, and he is someone she does not talk to but knows so much about.

Rodrigo’s song “So American” was surprising to me because it is her first love song that Rodrigo has released. Most of her other songs are about breakups or body issues. One lyric talks about her being in love, which is a long way from her song “Love is Embarrassing” from the same album.

Overall, even though they are not my favorite songs by her, I like how she tried some different styles of music. Many of her songs were starting to sound the same, so it definitely gave her some variety. I think that her experimentation with new genres will bring her many new listeners and help her continue to grow in popularity.

Contact Sophia Bahrenburg at [email protected] 

About the Contributor
Sophia Bahrenburg
Sophia Bahrenburg, Contributing Writer
Hi! My name is Sophia Bahrenburg. I am a freshman at Edmond Memorial and this is my first year being a Contributing Writer for the Ruff Draft. I joined intro because I enjoy writing. I like to read, play volleyball, and spend time with my friends and family in my free time! I hope to continue my journey with journalism as I go through high school!