Favorite cereal?

Edmond Memorial’s night of the arts

• Fellow students look over fabulous art pieces in the show.

As the semester comes to an end, Edmond Memorial High School’s art students prepare to showcase their skills in the school’s biannual art show. Students display a wide range of art, including pieces from those in drawing and design, painting, ceramics, photography and Native American expressions. After viewing the displays, one thing is evident: the student body’s creativity and love for art surpasses all expectations. 

The show shines light on every student’s work, with displays sprawling throughout Memorial’s art hallway and into the ceramics shop. Within this mass of art, every single piece displayed represents each student’s individuality– both as an artist and as a person. Sydney Robinson, a sophomore taking drawing and design as well as photography this semester, had several pieces in the show. For her and many other students, the art show helps grow confidence in personal work.

“It’s nice having a platform to showcase the things that you’re proud of,” Robinson said. “When you know you’re good at something it’s really nice to have other people recognize that.”

The involvement of every student is particularly important to the show. Everybody enrolled in an art class has at least one piece to display, no matter what it is. This would not be possible without the support of the teachers, including Chalyn Edson, who has been teaching Art I at EMHS for the past two years.

“[The art show] validates their art,” Edson said. “As a teacher, I kind of have to put them in that spot because it helps them grow.”

Of course, this incredible night would not have been possible without the hard work and coordination that EMHS’ amazing visual arts teachers present. They are dedicated to showing off their students’ work and making the art show an enjoyable experience for its visitors.

“We all kind of have our own checklist of things to do, and we’re all working really hard to make sure everyone has a piece and everyone is involved,” Edson said. 

The effort put into this show shines through, especially considering the atmosphere the show has to offer. As well as the art displays, there was also a quintet from EMHS’ orchestra and refreshments catered by the culinary students. The festive music and food to enjoy as guests viewed the art made the show all the more worthwhile.

The string ensemble has been a feature of the art shows for the past three semesters. Annie Compton, a cellist in the symphonic orchestra, is the one who organizes the ensemble. She has been involved with orchestra for the past four years and has been dedicated to performing ever since she joined.

“I really enjoy playing for people and sharing music,” Compton said. “With Christmas music, everybody knows the song. It’s really fun to see a [quintet] because most people don’t really get to experience that.” 

The addition of live music to the art show adds an aspect that somebody would not experience through only looking at art displays. When music is played live, it draws the viewer into the creation of the art, which is the reason many people enjoy art in the first place. 

“It adds a more interactive aspect to the art show,” Compton said. “It’s cooler if you have live music there instead of just playing it from a speaker.”

All of these different mediums and genres of art truly shows how involved EMHS is in artistry. With the plethora of fine arts classes available, ranging from performing to visual arts, students are drawn to these programs because they are so different from average core classes. It offers a place to express one’s emotions and be heard. 

“As someone who worked in [the arts] and was that kind of student, it’s what you’re drawn to the most,” Edson said. “I feel like the arts allow you to express yourself, and kids have a lot to say.”

Showcasing work can be difficult for many students who are shy about their art, but the art show gives them a space to be able to do so without judgment. It can be easy to mark personal work off as bad or embarrassing, but the community of artists at Memorial makes it much easier to share. 

“Find your collective,” Edson said. “Join art club and find a group you can be comfortable with to share those things and get some advice.”

As each semester ends, EMHS’ dazzling art show recognizes another group of talented young artists. Whether somebody is a connoisseur of art or simply enjoys viewing the displays, the vibrancy of the student body’s artistic talent and creativity shines through for all who are around to see it.

Contact Emma Lynch at [email protected]

About the Contributor
Emma Lynch
Emma Lynch, Contributing Writer
Hello, my name is Emma Lynch! I’m a sophomore and it’s my first year as a Contributing Writer for Ruff Draft. I love music and art, and I spend my free time playing instruments, drawing, and reading. I’m excited to continue writing for the newspaper this year and in years to come.