The EMHS Art Show’s exhilarating showcase

Students all around EMHS were able to display their amazing artwork at the art show.

Ryder Richardson, Staff Writer

The Edmond Memorial High School Art Show was hosted on Dec. 8 in rooms 200 and 201 as was hosted by Jesse Herndon, Elizabeth Parham, Lee Davis and Chalyn Edson who are the art and photography teachers at EMHS. Students could go to this exhibit from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. for free before the Choir contest. The show had many pieces of artwork from hundreds of students at Memorial. 

This Art Show is one of the several ways that students can participate in school activities as part of the Edmond Art Programs at EMHS. The classes participating in the show were Art 1, Drawing & Design, Painting 1, Painting 2, Photography and AP Art but they also allowed submissions from students outside of these classes.

“The best thing about this show is the team that puts it together behind the scenes. Ms. Edson, who went above and beyond her first year.” Herndon Said

“Mrs. Parham, Mr. Davis and I each have responsibilities and things we contribute in order to pull it off.”

One of the most key parts of making artwork is knowing which media the artist is using. Kailee Long from Painting 1 found that using digital media was a way to create art with no clean-up.

“The main medium that I use is digital. I find it much easier to work with than, for example, paint or pencil,” Long said.

Showcasing their artwork in shows can improve not only students careers but also provide helpful constructive criticism. Victoria Newby is one of the artists who participated in the show and is wanting to be apart of more art shows. One of her inspirations for her art was through her love for musicians and emotions. Art allows Newby to express herself when it’s hard to do it through words.

“This show will let them have an understanding of me and what I am wanting to express through my art,” Newby said.

It’s important to make sure that these events run smoothly and that every student has a turn in the spotlight. The teachers have a major job in this show, which is setting up the displays and pieces of art.

“All the teachers do a great job at setting everything up and putting on some amazing displays,” said Long

The art show included a collection of illustrations that makes it stand out from past years at EMHS. The next artshow will be in May and will include a more collection show with a great deal more work being included by all art students.

Contact Ryder Richardson at [email protected]