Sick with a case of Senioritis

Miller Davis

Second semester seniors are ready to leave high school.

Anna Frazier and Grace Swisher

A worldwide epidemic across all high school seniors known as “senioritis” has filled the halls of Edmond Memorial. This word refers to the idea that twelfth-graders experience an overwhelming lack of motivation and energy. It has been up to debate if this is a true illness amongst these teens or simply an excuse for laziness. The Ruff Draft decided to dive into this issue by interviewing several Edmond Memorial High School (EMHS) seniors and learn their perspectives. 

As students have entered the second semester of the year, senior Stella Hardy proves how the anticipation to walk across the stage is overwhelming.

“Senioritis is a real condition because now that I have committed to a college, I just want to graduate and get out of here,” Hardy said. “I’ve become impatient and bored of high school, so I’m eagerly awaiting college.”

The excitement for independence and adulthood is present for many seniors, and the fulfillment of choosing what to do with one’s own time is a privilege in and of itself. 

“In high school, I feel like we’re legally obligated to be here, and there’s not much freedom with that. I can’t wait to do something I love all day every day,” senior Jenna Barnhouse said. 

At this point in their high school career, students are losing their desire to give their best work on their assignments. 

“My work habits are much more disorganized [compared to junior year],” senior Claire Risley siad. 

“I think of ways to be more efficient with my time, cut corners, get things done with the bare minimum and still make an A,”

Although seniors are eager to finish up this school year, a calmness is present in their lives knowing these are the final moments they have left to be a relatively carefree high school student.

“I feel happy to be a senior. I’m grateful that my time as a student is coming to an end and I can be a fun high schooler for now,” senior George Kamp said.

Moving to a new area is a big step in life. Some students are more ready than others, but it makes it easier when they have good friends by their side to take on the world.

“I’m looking forward to being in a brand new place all on my own. I’ve always been an independent person and to actually be able to be independent is so exciting to me. I’ll be in college with some of my best friends, so I’ll have familiar faces in an unfamiliar place,” Hardy said.

Some students don’t think there is much to miss about the high school experience. Every person feels differently about saying good riddance to their senior year. 

“I’ve learned that high school is not my thing. I’ll miss the friends in my classes, but I feel like I won’t miss anything else,” Barnhouse said. 

After discussing the idea of “senioritis” amongst EMHS seniors, it is evident that this syndrome exists. Being in the final stage of the long and strenuous journey that is K-12 results in a tired push through the finish line. The exhaustion that comes with being a senior is real, and this feeling definitely earns the suitable title, “senioritis.” 

Contact Grace Swisher and Anna Frazier at [email protected]