Introducing Tammy Lee: Memorial’s newest health teacher

Miller Davis

Health teacher Tammy Lee

Emma Eischeid, Staff Writer

Tammy Lee is a new Healthy Futures teacher at Edmond Memorial High School (EMHS) and is looking forward to being here and educating the new freshman students. 

Lee knew she wanted to be a teacher since she was a child.

“I graduated from a small town in Kansas for high school. I knew I wanted to be a teacher in fourth grade though,” Lee said. 

Lee’s fourth grade teacher only encouraged her to chase her dream even more. 

“I had a fourth grade teacher that was wonderful and I knew from then on I wanted to be a teacher. I didn’t know what I wanted to teach until I got to college, but I always knew I wanted to become a teacher,” Lee said.

Lee began her career in education at a small school in Kansas soon after she graduated college from the University of Kansas. She didn’t know exactly what school subject she wished to pursue, but knew she wanted to teach something. 

“I started teaching right out of college at a school in Leavenworth, Kansas. I met the principal in Leavenworth, and he offered me a job, so I taught and went to graduate school at the same time,” Lee said. 

Her love of education is what inspired her to become a teacher, and now she has been given the opportunity to live out that dream at EMHS. 

“I like helping people learn the things that I learn. I like knowing that all of these students start fresh and then I can help educate and improve them for their lives,” Lee said. 

She ended up in Oklahoma during her seventh year of teaching due to her husband being in the military.

“This is my seventh year of teaching. I don’t know how long I plan to teach because my husband is in the military so we move around a lot,” Lee said. 

Lee has always had a passion for helping others reach their full potential through education. Now at EMHS, she  is living out her childhood dream. 

Contact Emma Eischeid at [email protected]